Coin collectors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coin collectors ?

I am going to try and post pictures of the 1942 penny I have, is it worth any thing ? ( more then of course one cent) Click image for larger version

Name:	32D8608D-2BDE-4DEF-B72A-0679626BADC5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	25247701

[ATTACH]1048294[/ATTACH]

Comment

You sure that’s just a penny?

Comment

A normal penny weighs 2.some thing grams, this weighs 12.12 grams. It’s three normal penny’s thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          You sure that’s just a penny?
          What else would it be ? It was in my father in laws stuff we went through. If your thinking a penny was placed in a “ frame” or something to make it bigger, no it wasn’t.

Comment

Looks like something maybe a jeweler put together. The border is for sure not part of an original penny.

Comment

Originally looking at it, thought it was a penny struck on a nickel planchet. If it this, you have a cool mint error and its worth exactly what someone is willing to give you for it. There are mint error collectors out there who look for this type of stuff. However, on a second closer look, think Walker may be right. Looks more like a steel penny set in a bezel by a jeweler.

Ed

Comment

I don’t believe it’s set in a bezel, it’s all the same metal and the actual penny itself is almost that thick also.

Comment

Some are saying the U.S. stamps foreign currency for other countries, and it may be it was stamped on one of those. It all looks and feels more like brass, maybe then copper, but not sure of that. It’s defiantly not a steel penny, 100% sure. And it’s much thicker then a nickel. It’s almost exactly two nickels thick. For some reason pictures won’t post now, trying to figure it out.
                  Last edited by critter69; 05-02-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

There's a pawn shop in Las Vegas. If he doesn't know, he's got a buddy. Pretty cool penny!

Comment

I'd take it to a coin shop. They should be able to tell you what it is and what it's worth.

Comment

That’s what I am going to try and do this week, just thought I would ask here, as there are guys into all kinds of stuff on here. And usually can answer most anything that’s brought up. Thanks.

Comment

I don’t know what it is but it’s cool!

Comment

I'm thinking it was made by a jeweler with two, maybe three wheat ears. The wheat ear was 95% copper, 5% zinc. No problem for him to mix the right percentage. No way was that an error, struck by the mint.

Comment

I bet it was on a neckless at some point................

Comment

Working...
                              X