What to do with an old compound bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with an old compound bow?

I have an older 80’’s era Ben Pearson compound bow, that has a broken string.

I don't know what to do with it. I obviously don't use it anymore and would give it away, but don't know if it is even worth replacing the string.

I hate just throwing it in the trash.

Thoughts?

All I can think is find a string for it and then ‘pay it forward’ to somebody starting out……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ETX-Deerslayer View Post
      All I can think is find a string for it and then ‘pay it forward’ to somebody starting out……

This is kinda what I was leaning towards.

I don’t even know where to start on getting a string and getting it installed though.

Comment

I’m not a lot of help but I googled and there were a lot of strings for ‘Ben Pearson Bows’ on eBay. If you have the model number I bet you can find one.

Comment

You can have one made and likely sell the bow for more than it cost to do so. With compound at $1000 mark, lots of guys might be more than happy to pick it up for $150 to $250.

My 90's era Mathews Q2 still pushes arrows at aobut 240 fps. Not blazing, but it'll kill as well today as it ever did.

Comment

Bow shops can rig the bow back up. Then just pay it forward for a youth that is starting into archery

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              Bow shops can rig the bow back up. Then just pay it forward for a youth that is starting into archery
              That was about to be my suggestion. Bring it to a shop, have them get it in shape and give it to someone.

Comment

I see you are in Houston... Take it to Texas Archery (formerly Bow Zone) and tell Richard or Joey what you want to do and I bet they'll fix you right up maybe even have someone to suggest passing it on to.

If you're on the West side, West Houston Archery will do the same thing if you talk to Brian or Rick...

Both top notch shops that do a lot for the archery community and the kids.

Comment

Do you have pictures of the bow and the model?

Comment

I'd give it away to anyone that wanted it but I'd trash it before fixing up.

That's me knowing what I last paid to have a set of strings built for my bow. I wouldn't spend that much on a 30 year old bow when the tech has changed so much it's just easier to shoot with newer equipment. I'm all for paying it forward but I imagine it'll get shot a few times and then be put in a closet. FWIW I am trying to work on my pessimism

Comment

Bowfishing rig

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        I'd give it away to anyone that wanted it but I'd trash it before fixing up.

That's me knowing what I last paid to have a set of strings built for my bow. I wouldn't spend that much on a 30 year old bow when the tech has changed so much it's just easier to shoot with newer equipment. I'm all for paying it forward but I imagine it'll get shot a few times and then be put in a closet. FWIW I am trying to work on my pessimism
                        Sounds like a plan!!

Comment

Find the closest dumpster.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Find the closest dumpster.
                            Or hang it on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

The lack of let off on those are brutal.

Comment

Working...
                              X