New Suppresser Law in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
    If anyone finds a suppressor shop willing to risk their federal license to sell a suppressor under the new rules, please post on here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Do they even need an FFL to make and sell them under the new law in Texas? Just curious.

Comment

New Suppresser Law in Texas

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
      Isn’t pot illegal?
      A lot of states say it isn’t.

Yeah but the feds don’t issue distributor’s licenses for dispensers

A buddy is a gun manufacturer and got a letter from ATF that basically said if you want to keep your ffl don’t think about it...

Now of a guy made them that didn’t have ffl and cans weren’t serialized I think could be an interesting scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tax money tax money tax money. Weed crops up tax money. If TX would charge a $300 tax…send $200 to Fed…pocket $100…a blind eye would be turned. Hell…sweeten the pot…$350 tax…$250 to Fed and $100 to TX. Thatd be $50 more to Fed than normal and at a faster rate…they might even give Texas the keys to Afghanistan…or a lazy reach around.

Fight in court or fight en mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper33 View Post
          It sure is and I see your point but just saying something still wont stop the feds from doing you dirty every chance they get. My point is that its high risk right now to have a suppressor without the stamp. I like the direction we are headed but there is more that needs to be vetted out prior to me rolling the dice on my freedom.
          from what i read of it ... someone can make a can in TX and have it and local leo should leave you alone on it .. per texas law it's legal ...

on the other hand a ATF or federal agent could come after you ... not that they would ... much like pot is legal in some states , but feds could still come after you... they don't ...

personally i've never had a cop even looking at any of my nfa items . they can't even confiscate them theoretically as if they took possession of it , they would be committing a federal crime ...

so the only thing i see right now is as far as texas is concerned this is not a regulated item needing a license to manufacture or possess in tx ...

i can see people starting to make kits , so it's not finished product under federal law and therefore not regulated then people assembling them themselves ... allowing them to have a made in texas can in TX with no repercussions at least at the local level

now if you get arrested , no telling if local leo would turn you into the feds and bring federal charges then ... they could!.

it would be cool if machine shops made individual parts ... just buy the parts you need , assemble and mind your own business ... sure smells like FREEDOM!

Comment

Who will be the first guinea pig?

AATTORNEY GENERAL. On written notification to
            the attorney general by a United States citizen who resides in this
            state of the citizen ’s intent to manufacture a firearm suppressor
            to which Section 2.052 applies, the attorney general shall seek a
            declaratory judgment from a federal district court in this state
            that Section 2.052 is consistent with the United States
            Constitution.

Reading the bill's explanations it seems that anyone or any business that intended to make or manufacture a Texas Made suppressor must first notify and get permission from the Texas AG who will then take it thru federal courts to get a ruling. This will be the path to the SCOTUS for final say.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              Isn’t pot illegal?

A lot of states say it isn’t.
              But the DEA isn't prosecuting. The ATF will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Artos;15788358

I just don't see ATF letting this cash cow move forward...they aren't gonna let barn door open & lose $200 per transfer.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that happen though if you set up a trust? You pay for the stamp once and thats it. The item is never taxed again as long as it stays in the trust.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  Who will be the first guinea pig?

AATTORNEY GENERAL. On written notification to
                  the attorney general by a United States citizen who resides in this
                  state of the citizen ’s intent to manufacture a firearm suppressor
                  to which Section 2.052 applies, the attorney general shall seek a
                  declaratory judgment from a federal district court in this state
                  that Section 2.052 is consistent with the United States
                  Constitution.

Reading the bill's explanations it seems that anyone or any business that intended to make or manufacture a Texas Made suppressor must first notify and get permission from the Texas AG who will then take it thru federal courts to get a ruling. This will be the path to the SCOTUS for final say.
                  Yes but the way the law is written and as you noted, there is no guinea pig needed.

Someone has to apply and then the Texas AG is required to get a positive ruling in federal court. In effect, no one risks anything until there is a positive ruling in federal court.

And until then, the law is not in effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                    Did the new law actually go into effect?

Did the new law go into affect? Yes.

Can you legally buy a Texas suppressor tomorrow? No.

The law set up a sequence of events for the law to come into effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper33 View Post
                      Yes it went into effect today but its a meaningless law and does absolutely nothing.

Sounds like the "no texting while driving" wanna be law they passed a few years ago- what a waist of time & ink- from what I'm seeing on the roadways anyways.
                      I think most took it as a law requiring playing with phone while driving.

As far a suppressors are concerned, Marijane is still illegal federally too, ain't stopping plenty of states of snubbing that law.
                      Of course it will be a different set of feds come a knocking for you evil gun owners.

Comment

Heard the Taliban is selling good US models for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                          No FFL who doesn't want to lose their license will sell you a suppressor.

Nothing will change until the law goes through the courts
                          No FFL who isn’t a fan of a prison sex will sell you a suppressor *

Comment

Doesn't matter. We should all be contacting reps, and .gov officials etc to show support and ask for strengthening of bills like this.

Many states have recently enacted similar and even stronger laws. This could be a stepping stone if we would all unite.

Comment

The ATF directly warned Texas FFL Dealers that a "Texas made suppressor" is not exempt from the NFA laws. As NFA regulations associated with suppressors does not specify that it must travel in interstate commerce.

Comment

All right I’m gonna need someone to nut up and be 001.

Comment

Working...
                                X