Ranch fairy long distance break down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    The point is when your off 1 yard at 50 it’s the difference between killing the animal and missing.

It’s hard to judge within a yard all the time. Zero reason to shoot 600 grains when a 425-500 grain arrow will blow through any animal we have in North America. You can’t pass through something you miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Joel and I communicate a lot about all the testing being done. Joel does good work.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        Joel and I communicate a lot about all the testing being done. Joel does good work.
        apply some physics. Start with the application of gravity. 1 yard error at 50 does not make a miss on a good shot. If you agree with this your calculator is broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
          apply some physics. Start with the application of gravity. 1 yard error at 50 does not make a miss on a good shot. If you agree with this your calculator is broke.
          that did not come out as intended. If you review the drop of an arrow...say 450 grains and the drop of arrow at 600 and compare the drop differential between 40-50 yards with the light arrow at 300fps and the heavier arrow at 260fps you will see that the difference in the 33ish% increase in TAW does no create a miss on a good shot. In reality the difference is probably less than what most people can repeat with a shot at this distance. I am not talking about the drop....I am talking about the differential in one to the other.

you really only need to plug the speed in to get the drop differential. if you look at sighted in at 300fps at 45 yards and shooting with that pin at 46 or 47 yards, etc and do the same with 240,250 or 260fps it is not like you will miss the target. The differential is small. the miss from one to the other by misjudging distance is small.
          Last edited by Tom; 07-27-2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

check out video at 2:20. awesome comparison

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAVEjSFG2hU&t=145s"]Arrows part 3: My 2020 Arrow Choices and how to improve arrow Flight and Durability - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

that's a 450gr to 848gr at 70 yards.

Comment

I see guys shooting high FOC in the wind and their arrows tail over just as bad as anyone else's. Wind is gonna drift any projectile.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I see guys shooting high FOC in the wind and their arrows tail over just as bad as anyone else's. Wind is gonna drift any projectile.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  I agree they do whip as well but the pointy end does not drift as much in the tests that I did. I shot at a hay bale at 40 yards with 460gr and 615gr and it was a noticeable difference in off target in high wind. I was behind a bale to block the wind from my bow and I. do what works best for you.

Comment

that's a 450gr to 848gr at 70 yards.
                    I need to learn to shoot two arrows at the same time and still hit the target.

Comment

show me where my calculator is broke.

Comment

I am in the 425-500 grain arrow camp. For starters some rangefinders out there aren't always 100% consistent. Go shoot a 3D shoot and get everyone to range the Tapir on the white, then the black. It usually will be a 1 yard difference, but that could add up if you are hunting out West with shots past 50 yards. Especially with a 650 grain arrow.

I have been around a lot of bow kills through the years. I can probably count on one hand at most when arrow penetration was the problem... It was shot placement and/or the animal moving. I would bet most of those arrows shot weighed in at 425 grains at most to.

I agree that a heavier arrow is better. No question... under the perfect circumstances.

If I had two guys show up to hunt with the basically the same setups. One that had an arrow weighing in at 425 grains and the other 650 grains. We would definitely want the 650 grain guy to have his shot at 20 yards or less on say a deer, because it will be moving.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          show me where my calculator is broke.
                          if you believe the statement that a 600gr arrow will cause a miss by misjudging a yard at 50 and a 425-500gr arrow will not you did not use your calculator. The differential of error is probably smaller than what you assume and I can only assume that you did not test this or break out your calculator.

Comment

Tailor your arrows to your query and style. It’s that simple.
                            Launching arrows is fun. So is physics.

Comment

if you believe the statement that a 600gr arrow will cause a miss by misjudging a yard at 50 and a 425-500gr arrow will not you did not use your calculator. The differential of error is probably smaller than what you assume and I can only assume that you did not test this or break out your calculator.
                              I didn't show a calculator

Comment

[quote=Tom;15711062]
                                The point is when your off 1 yard at 50 it’s the difference between killing the animal and missing.

It’s hard to judge within a yard all the time. Zero reason to shoot 600 grains when a 425-500 grain arrow will blow through any animal we have in North America. You can’t pass through something you miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

with my setup I do not believe 1 yard is a miss......I have to get ready for Utah NOW and will update with a shot or two. I think 5 yards may be 5" at that distance...dont quote me on that but I will post this week. My range is at work so will test.

I am heavy because heavy works best in the wind. My setup is as a thin arrow and my fletching is as low of a profile as I can get. lighter arrows whip around in the wind. Heavy FOC is like chunking a spear. I have 0° helical on my fletching and can shoot well without fletching at all....I dont, of course but none the less high FOC works. Empirical data is what I go by.
                                Why 0⁰ on the helical? You using a Whisker Biscuit?

My current arrows are 30", 520 or 580 grain. I forget the FOC. I'm thinking 17 or 19.
                                I run helical fletch on mine.

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Working...
                                X