Added to my reloading collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added to my reloading collection.

I have been trying to collect old reloading components for some time. It used to be pretty easy to get older cans of powder, ECT. But now, it seems many other people are collecting the same stuff, because I keep getting beat to old powder cans or other old components.

This weekend, a buddy of mine found the mother load, of reloading stuff. I wish I could have bought a whole lot more of the stuff they had for sale, but I have other things that need to spend money on. But I was able to add multiple old powder cans to my collection. Some have never been opened.

First pictures are the powders I intended to dump the powders, but I think I will leave the powders in the cans, kind of adds a little to the pieces. The unopened can of Green Dot, I am pretty excited about. Really excited about all of them. I saw someone had a H240 can a while back and really wanted it, since it has been out of production for so long. The only manual I have that has H240 listed in it, was my grandfather's old Speer manual, I don't remember which addition. That manual has a few old powders, I have never seen listed anywhere else. So getting a long out of production powder, was pretty cool.

The top shelf in my gun room, is where I keep my old gun stuff, reloading components collection. I have had the Bullseye can for 35 years or longer. A friend of the family gave it to me, a few years, after I started reloading. It had powder in it back then. The Scot powder 3032 and 4065 cans are not that old, they are from the 90s. The Scot brand powders, if you are not familiar with them, are supposed to burn cooler than the IMR powder they are similar to. You can load the 3032, just like it's IMR 3031. Same with the 4065, you can use IMR 4064, load data. I bought those new, kept the cans, when they were empty. By the time they were empty, I had not seen any Scot brand powders in a while. I kept the Reloader 19 can, because, it was the last of the cardboard powder cans, I used. When I bought another can of Reloader 19, to replace that can, it was obvious, they had stopped using the cardboard cans, so I kept that last can. Same with the Hoppes Number 9, when I bought a jar to replace the one, I had, and the new one was plastic, I kept the older glass jar.

Then I have three different boxes of .224 caliber bullets that are pretty old, that a friend gave to me, years after, he quit reloading. Then I have a couple of old cans of Sheridan pellets. The one on the left is older. So my collection is not exactly all old reloading stuff, it is all gun related.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Nice finds. Do the old powders still work burn the same? Always wondered when I see all the cool vintage cans at gun shows.

Comment

Nice find! It's your lucky day, I've got a red dot can for you (no lid) if you ever make it to Dripping Springs or Bee Cave area.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Samson; 11-01-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
        Nice find! It's your lucky day, I've got a red dot can for you (no lid) if you ever make it to Dripping Springs or Bee Cave area.

Ok. I go up to Austin, every once in a while. I have a couple of transmissions, I need to take to a buddy up in Pflugerville at some point. When I have time to take those transmissions, I will try and send you a message first. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanlail View Post
          Nice finds. Do the old powders still work burn the same? Always wondered when I see all the cool vintage cans at gun shows.
          If it was stored properly, it can be good, but if it ever sat with the lid not fully sealed, the powder is probably bad. Most of those cans are probably from the 1950s to the 1970s, there are a couple of them, that may be older. So with the age of them, there was plenty of time for someone to not put the lids back on properly, if that happens, moister will get to the powder and ruin it.

The can of Green Dot, is still sealed, so never opened. So it's likely good. The others could be good, but I am not going to try them.

Comment

Very cool. Love those old cans.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              Ok. I go up to Austin, every once in a while. I have a couple of transmissions, I need to take to a buddy up in Pflugerville at some point. When I have time to take those transmissions, I will try and send you a message first. Thanks.
              PM me your address and I'll mail it. Interested in a '80s Blue Dot Can ? I will include it too if so.

Comment

Working...
              X