Leon Cty. Mtn Lions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leon Cty. Mtn Lions?

Has anyone in this area had any recent sightings of large cats?
    The ranch hand out our way says a neigboring ranch shot at one and they sighted two on our place in the past month.

This raises a second question - Can you get approval to carry a sidearm during archery season for protection? (I'm sure this has been addressed because of hogs but not sure if it's legal to carry)

Nope not legal no firearms on your person. I promise you, you do not need them. They killed one on our ranch and 1 a mile from our ranch about 10 years ago. Every year I find their tracks and have never seen one. I try not to think about it, doesnt bother me anymore but when I was younger I sprinted to the stand in the mornings. Good luck and get a trail cam out we need pictures of the kitty.

Comment

where are you hunting in leon?

Comment

If you have a CHL you can carry... even on Type 2 (public) lands.

Comment

I forgot about the CHL

Comment

I think you can carry if you have a CHL, but the gun can't be visible.

Comment

CHL it is
              Hunt in Leona on the Boggy Creek just East of 75
              here kitty kitty kitty

Comment

Not faulting you, but I'm far more concerned about feral dogs than I am mountain lions.

IMO - mountain lions are very fearful of us. And unless they're sick or starving they'd never even consider people as a food source.

But a sidearm is always a comfort....CHL it is!

Comment

Probably a momma cat and kittens....they might not stay very long....I doubt you will see one...and if for some reason you were being stalked you wouldn't have a chance to pull a gun...it would be on you faster than you could react...

Comment

You'd be in more danger of getting struck by lightning or breaking your leg in an armadillo hole than getting attacked by a big cat.

Comment

A guest of my neighbor's a couple of years ago said he say one and heard it scream but the fellow was a bit inebriated when he came out of the woods. This is in Madison Co. just below you.

Comment

With all of the people shooting up the woods in Leon County, I think it would be more likely to be abducted by aliens than for a mountain lion to live there today.

I wonder how many bobcats are mis-identified as mountain lions in Leon yearly. Alcohol apparently makes bobcats larger.

Personally, if there is a mountain lion there, I would hope that it achieves what it wants... zero interaction with humans, and never meets a bullet.

Will

Comment

We hunted in Buffalo for several years when I was in high school. It was probaly about 1999 or 2000 we were on our way home on
                          I 45 just north of Huntsville and there was a big cat dead on the road. My buddy was asleep so I woke him up and turned aroud and drove past it again so he would belive me.

Comment

I hunt a few miles down the road from ya in robertson county and have only seen one about 3 years ago and it was not hanging around for me to pull off a shot but every year we see tracks the tpwd told me they travel in about a 100 mile radius and dont stay in one place very long.

Comment

Ive heard of sightings of cats like that in our area, but the sources they came from were less than credible.

Ive never seen one, nor found a track of one and I spent a whole lot of time in the woods.

Comment

Working...
                              X