Constitutional carry, make sure you know the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constitutional carry, make sure you know the law

My wife works at a local college and the other day told me about a student who had came in open carrying after the constitutional carry law was passed. The professor in the class, who has a CHL, didn't really like that the guy was open carrying but wasn't sure on the new law. The professor then called the campus police who's on a different campus, and he said, "oh that's the law now, I can't do anything about it." When my wife relayed the story to me I thought there were some things that were wrong and after a few minutes of research I found out there was.

With constitutional carry there are some limitations on where you can carry. One of them is on a college campus. Constitutional carry does not allow for carry on a college campus, and even if you have an LTC you can only carry concealed. So the student was open carrying without an LTC so he was doubly wrong. The campus policeman didn't know the law either, but I've learned over the years that many times cops don't understand gun laws, no offense. If you open carry on a college campus that's a third degree felony. I don't know whatever came of the situation or if anybody ever clarified for this guy, just wanted to let everybody know that if you're going to carry, especially with the new constitutional carry law realize there are some limits, and even more limits than are on the LTC holder. Part of carrying is personal responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing the gun laws and not assuming. Have a good one

It is a little confusing. Been reading on it some. There is a place here in DFW that is doing classes on it.

Comment

Personal responsibility is sorta a foreign concept.[emoji3061] I am pleased to say that I actually knew that one......and I am far from a big time gun aficionado like soooo many claim to be these days.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Peace officers haven't taken the legislative update course yet.

Comment

Good to know, thanks OP

Comment

I imagine we will see a lot of these situations springing up.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              With constitutional carry there are some limitations on where you can carry. One of them is on a college campus. Constitutional carry does not allow for carry on a college campus, and even if you have an LTC you can only carry concealed. So the student was open carrying without an LTC so he was doubly wrong. The campus policeman didn't know the law either, but I've learned over the years that many times cops don't understand gun laws, no offense. If you open carry on a college campus that's a third degree felony. I don't know whatever came of the situation or if anybody ever clarified for this guy, just wanted to let everybody know that if you're going to carry, especially with the new constitutional carry law realize there are some limits, and even more limits than are on the LTC holder. Part of carrying is personal responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing the gun laws and not assuming. Have a good one
              Any differentiation on private campuses vs public?

Comment

4 morning ago saw a hood rat walk into Waffle House in his sweats and hoodie to pick up a to-go order and the handle of what appeared to be a high capacity handgun hanging out of his sweats front pocket. Sure wish the POPO would have rolled by about that time.
                Me and my coffee drinking buddies were on red alert until he left.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  4 morning ago saw a hood rat walk into Waffle House in his sweats and hoodie to pick up a to-go order and the handle of what appeared to be a high capacity handgun hanging out of his sweats front pocket. Sure wish the POPO would have rolled by about that time.
                  Me and my coffee drinking buddies were on red alert until he left.
                  Maybe I'm misreading, but you want the popo to harass people exercising their right to carry?

Comment

Why I kinda don’t like this law. Seen lots of guys carrying I think with a goal of showing off more than anything. Also sounds like they have little knowledge of firearms and situations the class taught us.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      Any differentiation on private campuses vs public?
                      Private institutions will be allowed to “opt out” by adopting broad rules banning weapons on campus, after consultation with faculty, staff, and students.
                      Public institutions will be able to limit weapons on campus after consultation with faculty, staff, and students, but those limits cannot have the effect of banning weapons altogether.

This is an overview I found on a college website pertaining to carry laws, I'm not going to vouch 100% for it but I think that's pretty much it

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                        Why I kinda don’t like this law. Seen lots of guys carrying I think with a goal of showing off more than anything. Also sounds like they have little knowledge of firearms and situations the class taught us.
                        Glad your classes taught you something. My first class was great. The instructors actually taught what the deadly force penal codes ment and how they worked in our lives.
                        After that, every class I had was either an instructor bragging about is skills and exploits or instructors that just read from the book and got most of it wrong. I guarantee no one learned anything from those last two cases.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          Maybe I'm misreading, but you want the popo to harass people exercising their right to carry?
                          I think the way he was carrying and displaying for all to see is not exactly according to the current law. Fine line of interpretation but should have been in a holster and not hanging half out of the pocket or should be completely concealed. Law states pistols shall be in a holster if open carrying. Pockets are not holsters especially if the gun is hanging out in a blatant fashion. Bottom line is if you are carrying and not in a holster then the gun must be completely concealed.

Comment

personally, i don't care ... for one you see , you probably walked by 50 you didn't . and the guy who is or was carrying illegally was already doing it. so this law changes nothing. except maybe some good people carrying now that didn't carry before. either way it's none of my business . remember it's only illegal if you get caught. gun free zone are places of opportunity and the democrats know how to play the game ... in any law , they have a say , and you better believe their evil minds always make sure there is something in there for them. they got all bent out of shape when we proposed to arm teachers .. doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              I think the way he was carrying and displaying for all to see is not exactly according to the current law. Fine line of interpretation but should have been in a holster and not hanging half out of the pocket or should be completely concealed. Law states pistols shall be in a holster if open carrying. Pockets are not holsters especially if the gun is hanging out in a blatant fashion. Bottom line is if you are carrying and not in a holster then the gun must be completely concealed.
                              Don't be a karen, geez......

Comment

Working...
                              X