Best Cheap 5.56/.223 Ammo For Pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Cheap 5.56/.223 Ammo For Pigs

Title says it. Looking for a good cheap ammo for pigs. Goin in a short barrel AR for shots within 100 yards so not concerned with ballistics. Spending money on the Usual Superformance, Barnes or Nosler didn't seem to make sense. Not interested in FMJ.

Any feedback on Hornady Frontier 75gr HP? Thanks

It just got stuck in Russia.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
      Title says it. Looking for a good cheap ammo for pigs. Goin in a short barrel AR for shots within 100 yards so not concerned with ballistics. Spending money on the Usual Superformance, Barnes or Nosler didn't seem to make sense. Not interested in FMJ.

Any feedback on Hornady Frontier 75gr HP? Thanks
      Can't tell you how it performs on animals, but the 75 gr Frontier shoots lights out out of my rifles. Wouldn't exactly call it cheap anymore though.

Bone Frog Gun Club has some 75 gr Gold Dot in stock. Definitely not cheap either, but at least there isn't any question about it's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
        Can't tell you how it performs on animals, but the 75 gr Frontier shoots lights out out of my rifles. Wouldn't exactly call it cheap anymore though.

Bone Frog Gun Club has some 75 gr Gold Dot in stock. Definitely not cheap either, but at least there isn't any question about it's performance.
        Aint that the truth I found some for $17-$18 so might try that out.

Have some older Green Tip M855 that could be an option but i try and stay away from FMJ for hunting.

Comment

I just bought a bunch of that Frontier 75gr HP's, just haven't had time to test it out on hogs.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

We just use the 55gr Gold Dots that I already have for self defense, bought a bunch long ago. It doesn't really matter because we head shoot them so whatever's accurate work fine, and your green tips would work fine for that. For body shots I'd definitely want a solid copper controlled expansion if the pigs have any size.

Comment

Same, I started shooting the 75 hp Frontiers when they were 13$/20, now they're more like 22$/20. That said, have killed one pig and one deer with them out of my AR. No complaints. I've got about a box and a half left, fixing to have to buy some more.

Comment

I know you said no fmj….

My magazine stack goes like this:

62gr fusion in the pipe
                62gr fusion up next…. The first 2 I got a high percentage of hitting my spot
                Rest is 55gr American Eagle in .223

I’ve killed dump trailer after dump trailer with these bullets

This last year alone 2 over 300# and 4-5 over 280# dropped in their tracks WITH BODY SHOTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  I know you said no fmj….

My magazine stack goes like this:

62gr fusion in the pipe
                  62gr fusion up next…. The first 2 I got a high percentage of hitting my spot
                  Rest is 55gr American Eagle in .223

I’ve killed dump trailer after dump trailer with these bullets

This last year alone 2 over 300# and 4-5 over 280# dropped in their tracks WITH BODY SHOTS!
                  Nice. Yea I guess i could do similar and stack on top of the Green Tip M855's. Good option

Comment

I’ve killed a few metric sh*loads of hogs with the 75 BTHP Frontier uses. IMO it’s a very solid performer in 223/556.

I used to buy it for $9.50/20. Now days I pay $14-16/box of 20. It’s not near as cheap as it used to be when I can find it.

The 68 Frontier BTHP is another acceptable round IMO.
                    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 08-24-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I try to use whatever 62 - 64gr soft point I can get my hands on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

ive killed over a 100 this year with green tips. i wouldn't waste any more money on pigs.

Comment

The 55gr A193 FMJ with cannelure works amazing well on hogs. It tends to bend to the point of breaking at the cannelure and leave a nasty wound. The same cannot be said about the M855.

The Federal Fusion/Speer Gold Dot are the kings of 223 hunting bullets and they used to not be very expensive. I only have about 600 Gold Dots left but managed to score 1000 Hornady 75gr BTHP so that is what I will load when I run out if I can’t find more GD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I gotta laugh at the FMJAG not wanting FMJs.

Comment

Have yet to use the “Frontier” load, but have killed a truck full or 10 with the older Hornady Steel Match 75 BTHP. I’m sure it’s the same bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X