Questions about braided fishing line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about braided fishing line

My son bought a couple spools of power pro 50 and 65 pond test. We were testing knot strengths but the line kept breaking. The 65 wouldn't even pick up 43 pounds. The 50 was far less than 50 but didn't get a number.

He bought through amazon and can return but what the heck? I mean two rolls both suck? Isn't this supposed to be really good braid?

I'll let him explain more

What knot did you try?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
      What knot did you try?
      This.

I used palomar with 50 lb power pro with no complaints for a lot of years.

Comment

Got off the phone with customer service and they told me I could ship it to them and they'd test it, and if they found issues they'd ship it back. But that process could take 1-2 weeks to get line... That could potentially suck as well. Will probably just return to Amazon if needed.

To test it we just tied the weight to a broomstick and slowly lifted it straight up until it broke(not on the knot). Maybe this is a poor test for braid? I'm not sure but all I know is that the 65lb test did not get close to lifting 65lb.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
          What knot did you try?
          Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          This.

I used palomar with 50 lb power pro with no complaints for a lot of years.
          Palomar. Knots didn't fail. Line was breaking

Comment

Most likely a crap batch, or marketing.
            Just because it says 50lb or whatever, doesn't mean it is, they can say anything they want if it helps them sell it.
            Honeywell most likely made it, and they spin up bad stuff quite frequently imo.

Comment

A lot of people say power pro is good stuff but I’ve personally had the most issues with it over any other brand. spiderwire is by far the best and most consistent I have used/use. Surprisingly the bass pro brand braid isn’t too bad, better than power pro in my experience.

Comment

I thought it was the knot so if its the line that's another issue all together. Wonder if it's bad batch as mentioned or older line.

Comment

Braid sucks.

Comment

I had the best luck with a uni knot on braid.

Comment

San Diego Jam will be your best knot for testing.
                      Fins is the most consistent line I've ever used, and all I will use now.
                      Again marketing comes into play as with all of em.
                      Fins 30lb will break up around 50lbs, the 20lb consistently breaks in the high 30s.
                      Not because it's a stronger line, but because they market 50lb line as 30lb line, 40lb line as 20lb, so on and so forth.
                      With Fins If I want 30lb strength, I use their 20lb line.
                      Pauleys Just for Fishing has done 1000s of test on every line imaginable, if you can find a pdf of his findings it's worth the read.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        A lot of people say power pro is good stuff but I’ve personally had the most issues with it over any other brand. spiderwire is by far the best and most consistent I have used/use. Surprisingly the bass pro brand braid isn’t too bad, better than power pro in my experience.
                        Same with me. I have had nothing but problems with power pro.

Comment

Xtreme braid. Some will hate on it but a lot of big fish have been landed on it

Comment

I like using the 10 lb sufix braid(4 lb equivalent) and light tackle. You do have to put the correct number of twist in the knots. You cant just fudge like on mono and put like 3, put 8. Its a lot of fun even catching 3 pounders. Ive moved away for the other stuff even in clear water fishing for trout.

...and set your drag accordingly
                            Last edited by Anteloper; 08-23-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I use Power Pro but never tested it. I use a uni knot (I am pretty sure its called) but instead of 5 passes in the loop like a fluorocarbon leader, I pass minimum of 10 to 12 through the loop with Power Pro and "lock" it with a square not on top before trimming the tail. Little hard to work with that many loops but never failed me at the knot. Now I want to test my 40 lb power pro. Saw a video comparing flouro, mono and braid and surprised mono can be just as strong? I still like the braid sensitivity Particular fishing surf.

Comment

Working...
                              X