Beach and jetty fishing - Need pro advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach and jetty fishing - Need pro advice

My son now wants to get more into salt water fishing. Mainly after sharks.

He has a Penn 6/0, 4/0 wide, and a Penn 309

For starters I'm thinking 100# braid that should get him +/- 850 yards on the 6, 700 on the 4/0 and 450 on the 309.

Suggestions on higher # line or lower? My thoughts were the 100# so he could still use the bigger ones off the beach. Also is it good to put on a few yards of mono before spooling with braid?

He's going to need tons of advice. So this thread my go on for a while with lots of questions.

I put a few wraps of duct tape around the spool before tying off.
    I think the 100 lbs should work fine, but I'd recommend putting some 100lbs mono topshot, so the inexpensive mono takes the beating and not the braid.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
      I put a few wraps of duct tape around the spool before tying off.
      I think the 100 lbs should work fine, but I'd recommend putting some 100lbs mono topshot, so the inexpensive mono takes the beating and not the braid.

I thought the point of the braid was that it was more resistant against shells/rocks/whatever. What's the point of using braid if not that? This is Tim's son Paul btw

Comment

Originally posted by TXfisher37 View Post
        I thought the point of the braid was that it was more resistant against shells/rocks/whatever. What's the point of using braid if not that? This is Tim's son Paul btw
        The braid is a smaller diameter for the same lb test. It is cut resistant but doesn’t hold up well to constant abrasion. Plus with the mono top shot it’s cheaper to replace. I replace my top shot every year, and 100yds is plenty for the mono top shot.

Comment

Tim spent 1967 to 1977 chasing them. My family ate them. Will buzz you after church tomorrow.

Got 2 hand made rigs from the 60's that need a new wall display............

Comment

Originally posted by TXfisher37 View Post
            No, braid is not near as abrasion resistance as mono. A little nick, and it's very weak (that's why Oz like to reel in his lines when no fish, he's checking for nicks and cutting and retying).
            Braid gives you lots more line capacity for same lbs rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
              The braid is a smaller diameter for the same lb test. It is cut resistant but doesn’t hold up well to constant abrasion. Plus with the mono top shot it’s cheaper to replace. I replace my top shot every year, and 100yds is plenty for the mono top shot.
              So the mono holds up just as good/better to abrasion as the braid? Mono topshot makes sense then. My main concern was that the mono would stretch too much on a big hookup, and then just snap whenever it hits anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                No, braid is not near as abrasion resistance as mono. A little nick, and it's very weak (that's why Oz like to reel in his lines when no fish, he's checking for nicks and cutting and retying).
                Braid gives you lots more line capacity for same lbs rating.

OK yes that makes sense. Was not aware braid wasnt good against abrasion. Appreciate it.

Comment

Next time y'all are at the river, stop by and I'll show you several of my set ups.

Comment

Also consider how much drag those reels can apply. 100# test may be no better than 65 or 80 for you if you can't apply enough drag to utilize it. What I am saying is, you may be better off with more line at 80# or 65# test. If those reels only can apply, say, 25 or 30# of drag what is the difference? I'm not a shark guy so maybe there is a reason you need 100#. I could see using it with big lever drag reels and heavier boat rods. But with Penn star drag reels you can't apply that much drag anyway. Something to think on.

Comment

The 4 and 6 make sure he has aluminum spools if casting. You
                      Will burn the crap out of your hand casting the bronze spools. The 309 take the level wind off of it. It will bind up or worm gear go out on big fish at some point. I have never used braid on my big rigs and very seldom have any issues. With those size rigs you won’t really be too far out to worry about the line rubbing on the bars. Have fun and enjoy.

You can buy after market drags that are much better than factory. I always used 40# on my wide 4/0 and 50-60# on my wide 6/0.

To each their own, but make sure he knows the difference between males and females if he decides to keep some eater size fish. They are tasty on the grill, but I don’t do it very often.

Comment

50# will be way more drag than any of your reels. I would spool with #50 and use about 30-40 yards a 100# mono leader. He isnt gonna catch big sharks with those set ups but 6 foot blacktips or spinners. Catching big sharks takes a minimal of 50s and some chase them with 80s. I would look for a older 30 wide and put it on a 12 foot rod. Big question is are you paddling baits, flying them out, or casting?

You would be lucky to get 20# of drag on a Penn star drag system
                        Last edited by glen; 08-14-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I have a decent starter setup. Just asking 222 dollars for it. Check your boardmail.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            50# will be way more drag than any of your reels. I would spool with #50 and use about 30-40 yards a 100# mono leader. He isnt gonna catch big sharks with those set ups but 6 foot blacktips or spinners. Catching big sharks takes a minimal of 50s and some chase them with 80s. I would look for a older 30 wide and put it on a 12 foot rod. Big question is are you paddling baits, flying them out, or casting?

You would be lucky to get 20# of drag on a Penn star drag system
                            If they let me take a kayak on the ferry, I want to kayak the big baits out at least. If they don't I'll have to cast them.

So my thoughts after reading y'alls posts, and trying to maximize yardage/strength(I want to use these off the beach as well).

4/0W and 309: Spool with 50lb braid and use 100yds of 100lb mono topshot

6/0: Spool 500~yds of 50lb braid, 500~yards of 100lb braid(or however much it'll hold), and then use 100yds of mono topshot. I'm worried that if I spool the entire thing with 50lb, the 50lb braid would rub on the sandbars if something took it out several hundred yards. I'm not sure if that would even happen, or where on the line it would rub.
                            Last edited by TXfisher37; 08-15-2021, 09:10 AM.

Comment

If you hook a big shark you wont slow it down. Alot of the sand bar rub is from when you run a bait 100 yards past the 3rd bar and the spider weight grabs. The line will roll across the 3rd bar for hours. I dont see your set ups doing this. Thats why you see shark guys with elevated “deer stands” welded in bed of truck and elevate rod holders off the stands. Puts rod tip 20 foot up.

You are overthinking it. Put some 50# braid in - put on a 50#-80# mono leader maybe 50-75 yards. Take some baits out and see what happens. Worse that happens is you get dumped a few times and upgrade your set ups later.

Comment

Working...
                              X