How to approach this situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to approach this situation

We had dinner with Some old friends we had lost touch with , in the conversation they mentioned they wanted to sell their moms property...90 acres , told them I was interested..
    They mentioned their mom cares nothing about it, hasn’t been there in over 10 years since her husband died....they don’t want or care about it either....gave me the location to go look at it....I did and told them I wanted to buy it to please let me know the price...
    The mother is unmotivated to do anything, including hiring a lawyer to draw up contract...so I offered to....This has been going on for a year, COVID hit and she hasn’t done anything.
    Her son is the go between and he is notorious for not returning calls for a week, text messages for a few days.....he will respond but always slow about it....
    I talked to him a week ago and he said she is still ready to sell, to make an offer....
    I made the offer, a little below market value and of course it’s been nothing since....
    How do you motivate someone to get moving on this, when you can’t afford the place at full market value....

Just be patient, we just went through the same thing. Took about 6 weeks to get the seller to commit. Took another 3 weeks to complete the sale.

Patience.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Just be patient, we just went through the same thing. Took about 6 weeks to get the seller to commit. Took another 3 weeks to complete the sale.

Patience.
      Yeah...it’s been a year

Comment

Life of a landman. Gotta keep on them.

Comment

IMO, if there’s nothing else out there that’s peaking your interest, then what’s the rush? Other than the excitement of having your own place and wanting to get going on it. If she’s serious, she’ll come around.

Have you considered leasing it for the time being? Maybe something could be worked out to where your lease cost could be applied towards closing costs when the time comes.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
            Yeah...it’s been a year
            Wow. You may have to do everything including present the contract to her....in person.

Just stay with it, if you want the property.

Comment

Kinda sounds like you need to cut out the middle man (son) and go straight to the owner.

Comment

Some goober from California will pay 2x more than you offered. The longer you wait the more it is worth and the chances of you getting it will get less.

The boy aint interested in your offers, you need to perk up his ears.

Times have changed, they too many folks with money looking to move to Texas.
                Last edited by Radar; 01-03-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Patience.............

Comment

Offer market valve and quit trying to low ball him, if you are truly interested. If you don't you can wait another year or until he tells you it has been sold to someone else.

Comment

I’m in the same situation on 95 acres. It is tied up in an estate with 4 siblings involved. I’m just waiting patiently and hope someone doesn’t come along and make a better offer before I get a signed contract.

Comment

Be patient and let go of the outcome. Trying to motivate other people to do things is a losing game. Ask me how I know...
                        Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Comment

I have bought and sold a lot of property over the years.

I've negotiated the contracts on 900+ pieces of property that I have owned and sold.

If you have an unmotivated seller the last thing you want to do is lowball them.

Make a fair market priced offer. Back that offer up with a letter showing comparable sales so the seller will see that your offer is a fair offer based on recent comps.

Let the seller know how their property compares to the comps you provide. Show them why the comps are higher or lower than the offer you have made.

A lot of sellers are afraid they are going to take too low of an offer and they won't do anything. You have to prove to them you are making a fair offer.

It sounds like you don't have a seller that will take your offer around and try to beat it.

In general, I won't make an offer. The seller needs to name their price and I go from there. Then I'll make a counter offer if need be.

Comment

MacDaddy, what state is the property in?

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                              Offer market valve and quit trying to low ball him, if you are truly interested. If you don't you can wait another year or until he tells you it has been sold to someone else.
                              Yep.

I have watched that scene go down many times the last few years, I see land being bought around me at prices I would have never dreamed of.

Comment

Working...
                              X