2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Ok thank you. I had never heard of Apple butter. we had a juju be. Tree growing up. We just ate them after chilling them in the fridge.
    You've never heard of apple butter? How about pear butter? Are you on the correct website

Comment

For you that have tomato plants that appears dying or dead but stalks are green. Cut the stalks off about 8-10 inches from the ground. Keep moist and new shouts will appear. Made the best tomatoes in Oct and Nov. When the freeze came, picked every green tomato, wrapped in newspaper, stored in boxes in a dark room. Ate fresh tomatoes in Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        You've never heard of apple butter? How about pear butter? Are you on the correct website
        Nope never heard of pear butter either I guess I grew up under a rock

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
          For you that have tomato plants that appears dying or dead but stalks are green. Cut the stalks off about 8-10 inches from the ground. Keep moist and new shouts will appear. Made the best tomatoes in Oct and Nov. When the freeze came, picked every green tomato, wrapped in newspaper, stored in boxes in a dark room. Ate fresh tomatoes in Dec.
          Thanks for the tip, I’ll do that mañana.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Nope never heard of pear butter either I guess I grew up under a rock
            Just giving you a hard time. It's good stuff if you ever get a chance to partake.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              Yep, and fried green tomatoes are always an option!

Comment

I bought some sweet pepper relish on the way home from Canton last week. Yes, I will be doing that next time around!!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                  I'm just a lurker in this thread, but I have a question. I have small raised beds in my backyard and have heard that planting crimson clover over the winter will do great things for nitrogen in the soil. Actually I have two questions.
                  1) Is this true?
                  2) Will I be fighting new sprouts all through the next growing season?
                  Maybe nobody saw this, but can I get some help from you seasoned farmers?

Comment

It will. But in small raised beds a good compost and keeping out weeds would be my choice. With Clovers you will need to till in to get the benefit. But while it decomposes it will use nitrogen to do it and it takes time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                      Maybe nobody saw this, but can I get some help from you seasoned farmers?
                      You'd be better off just buying a good fertilizer.

Comment

Fall cucumbers are coming along. Out of nowhere, leaves are getting what I would guess is some kind of blight.

What's going on here and how can I treat it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	24662454

Comment

If I cram too much stuff into a raised box garden, will the competition for nutrients in the soil prohibit growth?

I feel like my okra and basil died, and my cucumbers, carrots and beans are all growing slowly.

Also what do I do with the dead stuff? Let it decompose in the soil?

It looks like I am growing a bunch of Charlie brown Christmas trees rather than okra lol...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I got a new situation,my whole compost pile is now a 4'x4'x3' tall ant pile. Millions of ants started running out when i went to get some rich black soil from underneith. What can i do? Or do i just let them be? The only thing im worried about is that they will affect/kill all the beneficial bug and worms i worked hard to build up in there. And like today i had to use that soil in another garden and i felt like i transferred couple thousand ant to another part of the yard.
                            Btw...we garden organically so chemicals is a no go for the ants

Comment

Sorry, double post
                              Last edited by locolobo; 11-06-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                I got a new situation,my whole compost pile is now a 4'x4'x3' tall ant pile. Millions of ants started running out when i went to get some rich black soil from underneith. What can i do? Or do i just let them be? The only thing im worried about is that they will affect/kill all the beneficial bug and worms i worked hard to build up in there. And like today i had to use that soil in another garden and i felt like i transferred couple thousand ant to another part of the yard.
                                Btw...we garden organically so chemicals is a no go for the ants
                                I've tried for years many different ways to make compost and they all have ended up with fire ants. your piles ( and mine) were not getting hot enough to deter ants.
                                Last year I acquired one of the tall, heavy duty trash cans, the type used by Waste Management etc. I drilled myriads of holes for air, the lowest about a foot from the bottom, and sat it on top of a pallet to keep it off the ground and started building my pile inside. Turned it every once in a while. Took a while but I made my first decent compost with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X