Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percentage of television hosts are better than you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a kid I remember watching Monster Bucks and Buck Masters thinking those guys were incredible hunters. I was enamored with the amount of giant bucks they killed. In my naivety, I didn’t realize that the outfitter they were hunting with had done every bit of work that put them on that deer and they were glorified trigger pullers. What I have come to believe is that being a successful television hunting personality is really about marketing one’s self so that sponsors want you to represent their product. Not about your knowledge or expertise as a hunter.

I’m curious what you fellas think. What percentage of TV hosts do you believe are superior hunter/outdoorsman than you are? I can say, I believe guys like Fred Eichler and Tim Wells could hunt circles around me. There are a handful of others too. But some of these other guys, I’m not so sure that everything else being equal, they leave the woods with a deer that I couldn’t kill.

What do y’all think? Can you think of any other hunting television personalities that are clearly better outdoorsmen than you are? What percentage do you think are legitimate outdoorsmen as opposed to camo frat boys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they're on t.v. getting paid to hunt while I'm at a job I don't want to do. Sooo......all of 'em. 100%

Tell any of them my name and they'll be like.....who?
    Last edited by okrattler; 09-08-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Hunting isn’t a contest. The whole premise of who is a better hunter is flawed.

Comment

I'm not sure, how many of them are good outdoorsmen.
        But, then that's kinda not the point.
        It's a television show. no more, no less.
        It's production, and commercial value, are all that matters to it's
        producers. (and advertisers) Some of them may be excellent hunters. But, you know
        it's called hunting. Not killing. But a program produced, that doesn't
        end in success. Is not, for the most part. Marketable.
        It's the same with fishing shows.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
          Hunting isn’t a contest. The whole premise of who is a better hunter is flawed.

The goal of hunting is not a contest. Agreed.

The reality of hunting is that some people are more skilled at interpreting sign, reading landscapes, sitting long hours, executing a shot, blood tracking etc. I’m not attempting to dishonor the animals because I’m not asking who’s better at killing game. I’m asking how many believe that the bulk of these “famous” hunters have these skill sets that consistently produce quality deer interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
            The goal of hunting is not a contest. Agreed.

The reality of hunting is that some people are more skilled at interpreting sign, reading landscapes, sitting long hours, executing a shot, blood tracking etc. I’m not attempting to dishonor the animals because I’m not asking who’s better at killing game. I’m asking how many believe that the bulk of these “famous” hunters have these skill sets that consistently produce quality deer interactions.

You can’t make any kind of judgement like that from those shows. They’re just entertainment. You can only know the qualities that you listed above for someone that you are personally familiar with. My guess is that the world’s best hunters do it for a living, not for TV, but for sustenance or as a professional guide, particularly in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              You can’t make any kind of judgement like that from those shows. They’re just entertainment. You can only know the qualities that you listed above for someone that you are personally familiar with. My guess is that the world’s best hunters do it for a living, not for TV, but for sustenance or as a professional guide, particularly in Africa.

Solid response. The best hunters I’ve ever hunted with have been ranchers that rarely pulled the trigger themselves but they knew how to hunt. They knew how the animals behaved and used a particular property. I’ve also learned more tips and tricks from guys like that. Like the rancher who picked Sage the night before and threw all the camo into a garbage bag with it to marinate overnight. This was before everyone was wearing scent blocker and wearing scent spray. He also made me go to Walmart and buy a felt like outer layer because my clothes were too loud. Sounds silly but I had never thought of that stuff.

Comment

I believe if I had the opportunity/funds to hunt the places that they hunt....I think I could be just as good as any of them!!!

Comment

Bunch of YouTube hunters are for sure and since I have not watched a hunting tv show in years I’m not sure who is in that category anymore but back in the day……..I’d say very few.

Comment

self comparison with others will always lead to disappointment within yourself and breed fault finding in others. Neither are admiral qualities to strive for.

Comment

sounds like a good reality TV show. put all the big names and a few regular guys on an East TX WMA and see who can kill a mature buck.

Comment

IMO all of the ones that hunt their own land are pretty dang good hunters. The Lekosky's and the Drury's come to mind. Yea they are lucky to have booners on their land every year. They have a lot of money invested in their own places. If we all had to money to invest as they do maybe we could have our own shows. Now I dont know that they do it all themselves or if they have someone do it. Lekosky seems to be a farmer and does most of it himself. Its all in the glass you are looking at. I for one am very lucky to hunt the place I do. It will never have any booners, but we consistently have really, what I consider, decent deer every year. The one in my avatar I killed last year. Make your glass half full and enjoy what you have and dont worry about who is a better hunter. H$ll Im done killing bucks anyway that is up to my daughter. Ol dad is a doe patrol monster though. Ill kill everyone I am legal to kill.

Comment

My favorite is Cody Robbins. That dude can flat out hunt! His wife is nice to watch too

Comment

I think that the hunting industry has created false expectations for the average hunter. Passing on 140 inch 4 year olds to let the grow up is an unrealistic scenario for most of us. I only recently got the sportsmen’s channel back after no having it on my tv package and a lot of times I just roll my eyes at some of the things being promoted and said on these shows. I wish I could go back and tell 13 year old me that self comparison is destructive. That I’d regret the day I called my dad “lucky” when he killed a really nice buck on our family farm with an open sight 30-30 because he wasn’t decked out in matching camo and was just sitting on a bucket. When I was a kid I idolized some of these guys and as a grown man I now just feel a little deceived. As if their obligation to rage broadheads was more important than sharing accurate information with me. Now I know that was the case. The point of this post was to call into question the hunting culture that is perpetuated by many (not all) of these hunting personalities and hopefully to encourage some to enjoy their outdoor experience without feeling obligated to pass that young buck because Drury would.

Comment

If you were to be put in the same position as them and with the right editing, you’d probably be just as good as them.

Comment

Working...
                              X