Load data for 223 WSSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load data for 223 WSSM

I have purchased a 223 WSSM with a heavy barrel for sons Christmas present. From what I’m told it has a 1:8 twist. So I have found some heavy 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition rounds. I’m trying to work up a load for it. I have gone on Nosler’s web site but they have no load data for this round. Just curious if anyone knows how to go about getting a load or at least a safe minimum and max load to get started with.

Can't help you with info requested but have same round in a light weight Browning my groups in a bit over 1.5 at 75 yards after approx 75 rounds it went wild - pie size
    By luck if found a old weed smoking hippie gunsmith in the area - his background is older military rifles and auto weapons - told him the problem - he scoped it and found problem in approx 5 min - copper build up from fast hot round - I only have factory ammo
    He cleaned it with Eliminator by Bore Tech and told me to order some because its good and does not stain stock and clean at least after every 50 rounds
    Worked great - this is my pig gun so all free hand shooting and as fast as I can cycle

Hope you can find some load info and have fun

Comment

Yeah, I found a round that groups fantastic. Can get them under an inch at 200. It loves the 55 grain HST Blitzking but that is a varmet round. Which would work perfect for ear holing a hog but would like to stretch it some and have enough energy to penetrate the vitals with a heavier round. I have heard that the custom competition bullets are not very good for hunting in the bigger calibers but lots of folks have said the smaller calibers actually do great on deer sized game.

More than likely going to try and see what the performance is on a hog first if I can find a load for it.

Comment

Hodgdon has data for 77 grain bullets

Comment

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I had looked at the one for sale in classifieds over and over.

Read about short barrel life and swayed me away from it. Don’t know that I would have ever shot that many rounds and regret not getting it.

Keep us posted on your progress. I may search for one later.

Comment

I believe that’s the one I bought. It shoots great with 55 grain HSM factory rounds. All I did was change out the stock and glass. But truthfully it probably shot that round great to begin with. It definitely did not like the Winchester factory ammo. Cases were splitting all the way down to the shoulder. At least the only 3 rounds I fired did.

During my research I read a lot of people were going to the heavier bullets which in turn had slower velocities to increase barrel life. Kinda defeats the purpose of having such a speed demon just to govern it down but to be honest it’s really not that much slower going off the load information M-16 referred me too for that weight of bullet. I love the thing. Hoping my son and I can reduce the predator population as much as possible this year at my lease.

Comment

Working...
                X