Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Rifle Iron Sights Issue

Hello,

I have a question around shooting iron sights on a rifle. I have noticed I need to adjust iron sights almost completely to the right whenever i shoot iron sights on a rifle. It seems odd to me that this is universal with almost any rifle i shoot with iron sights. Is this something to do with head positioning or is this normal? I am not talking like a slight adjustment either, I tend to max out the sight adjustment range of travel before I am shooting on-target. I am using peep sights for my rear sights on these rifles also.

Thanks

Are you shooting out of the correct eye? Maybe left eye dominant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do the same thing. I just Celebrate it as long as I’m still hitting on target

Comment

cheek on the stock...head up...

Comment

I shoot my muzzleloader with the sight nearly all the way to the left.
          As long as you hit where you aim I wouldn’t worry about it

Comment

Ghost rings ?

Maybe time to go to a red dot

Comment

Not normal.
              Probably dominant eye issues

I have enough trouble focusing blade, notch and target
              I don’t need anything other distractions.

Comment

don't over think it,, that's why they are adjustable, not every person sees things the same, holds the same and a slight error in milling could be the cause,, if you can get it on target,, go for it

Comment

I am definitely right eye dominant and shooting that way. I was just concerned that if I sight my gun in at fifty yards, it may have left/right impact issues at different yardages if the sights on aligned with the barrel. I guess I will just have to verify at different yardages, but it was a concern I have due to limited time to sight in my firearm. Thanks all for the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                    Ghost rings ?

Maybe time to go to a red dot
                    Unfortunately the hunts im using this on prohibit any optic

Comment

Originally posted by Jchunter View Post
                      Hello,

.................................................. .... Is this something to do with head positioning or is this normal? ................................

Thanks
                      I suggest that you already have the answer. Try to be a little more critical of your placement of the gun on your shoulder that might cause you to look down the barrel at a slight canter. this can occur by dropping your head or over cradle your hold.

the evidence of the problem with every rifle you shoot leads one to the possibility that you dont look straight down the barrel through the sight path.

however, I suppose in the end whatever will work for you must be repeatable every time. best wishes

Comment

Typically it will have nothing to do with head positioning as the sights are aligned. Things like one side of the front sight catching light, your vision, or a rifle where the sights aren’t positioned right or a “cant” are the problem.

For the folk saying “just adjust the sights”, you have never seen a rifle where this is a real problem, the sights way off to one side look like crap.

If using peeps or ghost rings and you make a conscious decision to center the sights then you are using them wrong.

I’ve had several successive rifles where mostly the front sight was not center bore or canted. It sucks !
                        Last edited by Johnny44; 11-08-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          I have enough trouble focusing blade, notch and target

That’s because it’s not possible to do all at once. Focus on the front sight.

Comment

Its a lost art

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              That’s because it’s not possible to do all at once. Focus on the front sight.
                              Thanks.

Even my turkey shotgun has a low power scope!

Would love to see the Gun, sights and shooting style of “Jchunter”.

Comment

Working...
                              X