Packing Game Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packing Game Out

Hello. I got a hunt coming up at Bahia Grande for Nilgai. I have been to Laguna Atascosa & The Schlaben Unit before and I took a bike trailer & game cart with me. This time I'm thinking on maybe trying something a little different. As far as I can tell, on most of the unit I should be no further than about 1.5 miles from the main road access. I was thinking about getting a pack frame and packing it out that way versus dragging it out on a cart. I imagine it would take me more trips but I think I can handle the walking vs pulling & dragging. The few times I have been down there. A heavy duty wagon has looked like the best option if you are mainly on good trails & roads. What is everyone opinion on packing vs pulling game out

That big of animal will take multiple trips. Good pack and in good shape should be able to do it.
    Good sharp knife and saw will make it easier. I would have a small tarp and game bags to set the meat/quarters on in as you break the animal down.

Comment

I packed one mule deer out, a bit over a mile, up and down and then back up two canyons, twice. That was not any fun, but I was glad when I finally made it back to the truck for the second time. It was only about 28 degrees outside, I took my hunting gear off and put on a Tee shirt and shorts, then went into town. Even when I got into town, to me, it felt like it was about 70 degrees outside. It was definitely a workout, but I used to like doing things like that, but at 50 something, it was a bit of a shock to my body. I think I should do more aggressive workouts like I used to, I really enjoy it, but that type of workout was a bit extreme for my body, having not done much in recent times, before that hike out.

Packing a large bull nilgai, would be a serious workout, being on flat ground would potentially make it easier, but if it's in soft sand, that would suck. I don't know the place where you are going, so I don't know if you are going to be dealing with black clay, sandy loam or soft sand, or packed sand.

I am going to try my heavy duty cart, but I plan on taking a heavy duty tarp, and some rope. I have seen guys using a tub/sled like thing to drag game out of the woods. I think a tarp would be a cheap compact way of doing basically the same thing.

I always take my back pack, which I can carry around half of a mule deer in, it would take probably four to six trips to carry a good sized nilgai out. Then I am going to take my cart/heavy duty wagon, then probably a couple of tarps and some rope, so I have options, instead of just deciding I am going with one idea, then that winds up not being worth a crap, once I have something to haul out. Then I have a tripod, that I can turn into a cart, or a small crane. Knowing I hunt alone, I want as many options available. So many times I thought I knew what to expect, then wound up dealing with something I never planned for.

Good luck.

Comment

How about a double wheel plastics wheel barrel

Comment

Their was a reason I had 27 mountain horses and mules for many years

Comment

I've never used one but if I got drawn for the hunt you're going on I would look hard at a hawk game
            cart

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Packing out is the way to do it. Just got through packing out 3 Nilgai a couple weeks ago at La Sal del Rey. Bone them out using the gutless method and game bags. A cow Nilgai will probably be 2-3 packs depending on how much you can carry and how much meat you decide to take. A military ruck pack works pretty good as well as a pack frame. The military ruck pack you don’t have to worry about strapping the meat to the frame. I bought mine at a military surplus store a couple days before the hunt and used it the entire hunt.

Comment

All I know is half of a big bull would spoil on most S. Texas days if I was packing out by myself. :-)

Comment

You will not regret getting a good pack frame. It gives you other options and if you ever do any self- guided western style hunts it is almost a necessity. With a pack frame you can cross laydowns, creeks, hills etc. much easier. However with that said if the ground is level it is hard to beat a cart or I like to tie quarters directly on a bike and push. I recently packed out a young bull in unit 4 at Laguna Atascosa so taking a cart or bike wasn't very practical on my kayak but I would have loved to have one instead of making multiple 1 1/2 miles trips with a pack.

Comment

The Hawk Crawler cart from the Amazon link above (listed at $220) is listed on Camofire today for $190. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

Comment

I packed a caribou in Alaska. Boned everything but the hams because the airplane was on its way and we didn't have time. Took 2 of us 2 trips. I was a LOT younger then.

Comment

I've got a Hawk Crawler game cart. Best game cart I've owned yet! It's a little more difficult to pull uphill. But on the flats it's a breeze. And I have used it several times. It's a smooth easy pull. And rated for up to 500lbs. Will also fold up. I just used it this past weekend pulling game out.

Lots of YouTube on it being used.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

hawk crawler is a gamechanger!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                            All I know is half of a big bull would spoil on most S. Texas days if I was packing out by myself. :-)
                            that's what I would be concerned about, we're talking several hundred pounds here, aren't we? At least the OP is looking ahead.

Comment

Pack frame and some friends with pack frames. That was my plan if we shot one. We are also all in shape though.

Comment

Working...
                              X