Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
jnewberry18
Four Point

Default SHNF hunting 2021-2022

Wanted to start this post to see what people are seeing out there in the forest.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
jnewberry18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Going out Wednesday to set a couple cams. Iíll post anything interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
SabineHunter

I used to do well off McBeth road, behind a pipe gate. Anyone hunting around there?
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
MetalMan2004
Ten Point

Tagged! It’s been a couple years but I applied for the antlerless again after a few years off.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Tagged for the old timers.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
Tagged for the old timers.
I think most of the OGís donít come around much anymore.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
Texas hog shoot
Nubbin' Buck

Any one ever been right off of 75 just south of 2296
Texas hog shoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
C-dubyah
Eight Point

It is to dang hot to be out there scouting around. Season will be over before it cools down.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I noticed that last year.
I've been gone for 5 years, but I remember the get togethers and the opening morning lunch. And of course a little smack talk.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #10
jpdarby2
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I can confirm it's way tooooo hot to be scouting and the spider webs are out of control! I put in some miles on Sunday to my typical spots with no major changes. Good luck to everyone this year!
jpdarby2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
PineyWoodsBow
Ten Point

Tagged. Going to go check my cams tomorrow

PineyWoodsBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #12
PineyWoodsBow
Ten Point

Quote:
I've been gone for 5 years, but I remember the get togethers and the opening morning lunch. And of course a little smack talk.

Been a long time, but I think your the guy I bumped into many years ago in the Archery section. I was toting the recurve. Looks like this thread has really died down over the last few years. It used to be the go to forum for the Sam!

PineyWoodsBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

planning on setting out a few cameras tomorrow.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
Matthewc131
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Coast, Central & East Texas

I haven't hunted the SHNF since back in 2013, mainly because I got into duck hunting and that took all my time & money during the season, but I've been thinking of giving it another shot!
Matthewc131 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #15
jnewberry18
Four Point

Put some cameras out this morning can't wait to see what class comes up on on them!

Old 09-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #16
Rivershack21
Spike

Hunt In: All over Texas

Use to hunt it years ago Loved it then. Last year was first year back in SHNF. Had tons of good hunts didn’t get close enough to kill a big buck but saw several small ones and countless number of does. Did kill a few coyotes while deer hunting.

Hunted two of the spots off 2296 and 75. They were really good spots to hunt but they get lots of other hunters there as well and groups of hikers walking around during the middle of day. Have to hunt there early mornings only
Rivershack21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #17
MattGrupa
Nubbin' Buck

Default Few weeks ago

I was out there a few weeks ago on the north east side and saw some promising signs plan on going out in a few days to place cams
MattGrupa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #18
MTXHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Talking 2021 shnf

Hello fellow Big Sam hunters. Iím new to the forum, but I have been exploring and hunting the SHNF for a few years now. Pretty cool seeing a group of people sharing their experiences and helping each other out. Iíve been doing some recon and thought I would share some game cam pics, but apparently I can not do that until I have 5 posts on the forum. So far Iíve found a bunch of spikes and small bucks, a ton of doe, boat loads of pigs and a few shooter bucks. One spot in particular had a real trophy. I will post pics when I am allowed. Also who on here has satellite cams with lock boxes and python cable locks? I found one of your spots this afternoon and you should have a picture
MTXHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
jnewberry18
Four Point

I have a few cams in the forest with python cables.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #20
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

I put a couple out last week but Iím not getting as many pics as you. Probably not my spot. Lol. I did struggle to find any acorns. Found a mature willow oak that had some but thatís about it.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #21
MattGrupa
Nubbin' Buck

Iím new to SHNF and I was thinking about putting cams out have yíall ever experienced someone trying to steal your cam Iím trying to price what I should get if thereís a lot of theft out there

Old 09-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #22
jnewberry18
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGrupa View Post
Iím new to SHNF and I was thinking about putting cams out have yíall ever experienced someone trying to steal your cam Iím trying to price what I should get if thereís a lot of theft out there

Buy a camera you can put a cable lock around... I have never had one stolen but people have removed them and stolen sd cards out of them

Old 09-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
MattGrupa
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberry18 View Post
Buy a camera you can put a cable lock around... I have never had one stolen but people have removed them and stolen sd cards out of them

Ok cool I thought about the cables

Old 09-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #24
MTXHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGrupa View Post
Ok cool I thought about the cables

I just run the $30 tasco and Muddy cameras and cheap cards. We ran about 30 last year and 20 this year and have only had one come up missing. I do like the lock box and cable if I had nicer cameras I would go that route. When I saw the other camera I got out of the area and did not put any of mine close to it. I try to be respectful and hope others would do the same.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #25
MattGrupa
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXHUNTER View Post
I just run the $30 tasco and Muddy cameras and cheap cards. We ran about 30 last year and 20 this year and have only had one come up missing. I do like the lock box and cable if I had nicer cameras I would go that route. When I saw the other camera I got out of the area and did not put any of mine close to it. I try to be respectful and hope others would do the same.

I thought about the muddy cell cam out there

Old 09-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #26
SabineHunter

Use a climber to set some cameras. Not 100 percent but makes em work harder.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #27
MattGrupa
Nubbin' Buck

Thatís my next purchase before going back out is a tree climber

Old 09-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #28
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Check your emails, slick head tags are out. Got mine, now I just need to find some.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #29
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I don't think they like me having doe tags any more. Been drawn once in the last 10 or so years it seams. Only saw 1 doe last year and I had a permit but she was just a baby. Could have been a nubbin buck too. I was covered up with young bucks but nothing I would shoot. Going to have to have horns on it this year now.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #30
Rivershack21
Spike

Hunt In: All over Texas

My son got draw for the second year in a row on the slick head hunt. But I can’t get one lol just how it works out.
Rivershack21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #31
jpdarby2
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Got my antlerless tag, now I'll only see small buck all year!
jpdarby2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #32
Ruger92
Nubbin' Buck

No antlerless tag for me either once again. Oh well. I put in about 120 miles of driving and 4 miles of walking today. I found a couple deer. I've been hunting the east side for the last 3 years and decided I needed a change of scenery so I went for a Drive. I did see many more people today than I have in the previous 3 years put together. Maybe the areas I went to are just popular. Good luck to everyone I'm hoping this thread will pick up a little, it's been pretty mild the last few seasons.
Ruger92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #33
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Iíve had the worst luck pulling an antlerless tag at SHNF. Nada again this year.

I typically see lots of does pre-season and in archery (always out of range) and then ONLY does during rifle. but the one year I drew the antlerless tag I couldnít find a single one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #34
MTXHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Default Antlerless tag

I antlerless tag for me this year, guess I have to get it done in October.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #35
MTXHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

For those of you who use a mountain bike. How do you pack out kills? Carts, backpack, strap them to the handlebars?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #36
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

Quote:
I still step in just to look around. I dont hunt the Sam anymore. People posting locations on the internet , its gotten really crazy. Its definitely not the same as it used to be. The first few get togethers were fun, pizza shack and the fish pond.
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #37
MetalMan2004
Ten Point

Back when you had to mail in a post card for the antlerless tag drawing I got one every year. Once they switched to online I haven’t gotten one since. Oh well.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #38
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
I still step in just to look around. I dont hunt the Sam anymore. People posting locations on the internet , its gotten really crazy. Its definitely not the same as it used to be. The first few get togethers were fun, pizza shack and the fish pond.
Yep. Those were good times. Itís turned into a **** show though, and all the folks who were hunting out there back then kinda moved on.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #39
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Quote:
For those of you who use a mountain bike. How do you pack out kills? Carts, backpack, strap them to the handlebars?
I rig up a game cart and pull it with the bike. It is fastened to the bike in such a way the bike won't fall over. Think of it as a big set of training wheels. It fastens to the rear wheel and up to the post under the seat forming a triangle to support the front bar of the game cart. I put my climber on it going in. I also installed washers and neoprene between washers between any noisy connections. Camo tape is your friend.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #40
jnewberry18
Four Point

Anyone seen their game cam pix yet? And see anything good?

Old 09-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #41
SabineHunter

Quote:
Back when I seriously hunted the Sam, I would bow hunt in Oct but also used that time to pack in what I needed for rifle season like 2 carts, one at 3 miles, one at 4 and hide well. I would pack in climbing stands, cases of water and Gatorade. One time when my wife and I were dating, we were hunting and getting thirsty so I asked her if she wanted something to drink. I stepped off in the woods about 75 yds and returned with two Gatorade bottles from my stash, I had them all spread out near the road where I hunted. I didn't want to carry heavy stuff when I was hunting.
One time I shot a nice buck and the doe it was following. That was no fun bringing both out, making two 7 mile round trips. I swore I would never do that again.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #42
Miketex2016
Spike

Hunt In: TX

Asked this question last year and didn’t get much response from green screen or from emails with park rangers.

I found a couple trails with blue aluminum circles nailed into trees every 20-30 yards. Walked about half a mile along both trails and markers were still there. Couldn’t find them listed on any map though. Any idea what trail system that might be? Found a few promising spots in same area as trails but since I had no idea where trails went was concerned about 150 yard rule near roads and trails.
Miketex2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #43
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketex2016 View Post
Asked this question last year and didnít get much response from green screen or from emails with park rangers.

I found a couple trails with blue aluminum circles nailed into trees every 20-30 yards. Walked about half a mile along both trails and markers were still there. Couldnít find them listed on any map though. Any idea what trail system that might be? Found a few promising spots in same area as trails but since I had no idea where trails went was concerned about 150 yard rule near roads and trails.
I don't think those are trails. I could be wrong on that. It maybe tracts to be thinned or sold. Did you see any papers or placards posted in the area? Were these in areas of pines that were of the same size and fairly thick? Do you think they could have just been fire breaks? These are on borders and around younger pine stands. I find fire breaks often circle the planted pine stands. How high were they? Did they have anything other than just being blue? Any numbers or such?
Old 09-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #44
Miketex2016
Spike

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
I don't think those are trails. I could be wrong on that. It maybe tracts to be thinned or sold. Did you see any papers or placards posted in the area? Were these in areas of pines that were of the same size and fairly thick? Do you think they could have just been fire breaks? These are on borders and around younger pine stands. I find fire breaks often circle the planted pine stands. How high were they? Did they have anything other than just being blue? Any numbers or such?
No placards or signs that I could see. Area was not super dense and trees were different sizes. Some older some younger. It was clearly some type of trail because it looked like it had been cleared out but you had growth along sides like marked trails had. At one point it crossed the main trail. The markers were about 10 feet high easy to spot.
Miketex2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #45
CALopez
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

Iíve never hunted SHNF, but Iím thinking out going out there and doing some scouting and maybe doing some weekend hunts. Couple of questions, can you camp in the designated areas during hunting season? Which would be most effective, a climber, sticks and a lock on, or a pop up? Thanks

CALopez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #46
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
No we don't, I just check in from time to time. How you been doing john and Eddie?
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #47
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF HUNTER View Post
No we don't, I just check in from time to time. How you been doing john and Eddie?
Moved back close to home about 5 years ago. Bought 60 acres last year full of deer and turkey so no more public hunting for me. Hope you and your brother are doing well.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #48
MTXHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Pulled 5 cameras today lots of doe, fawns, pigs, two bobcats, some coyotes, a few young bucks and one mature 8 point. The 8 point was working a trail I found a huge scrape on, but I don’t think he is what made it. I’ve run a lot of cameras over the last 3 years and only found a couple of true trophy deer. I have a few more to pull wrote the season it was getting crowded out there today.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:37 PM   #49
Romulan
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I haven’t seen much acorns in my usual areas - have you guys noticed a difference from last year?
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2021, 01:59 AM   #50
Buck-Chaser
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sam Houston NF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
We still do get togethers but not as often Facebook group is where some of the old members are Dmack, hunting fool, Tod middleton and a few others.
Buck-Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top