Where to buy a whole pig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy a whole pig?

Group of dove hunting buddies are wanting to do a “lu’au style” underground pig roast later this month. Our first thought was go shoot a hog off our lease and use that, but decided we’d rather have a whole pig (head and skin still on) to get the best result.

Anyone have recommendations for a good DFW-based butcher, ranch, etc. to get a whole pig?

Originally posted by Danny_DeerVito View Post
    Group of dove hunting buddies are wanting to do a “lu’au style” underground pig roast later this month. Our first thought was go shoot a hog off our lease and use that, but decided we’d rather have a whole pig (head and skin still on) to get the best result.

Anyone have recommendations for a good DFW-based butcher, ranch, etc. to get a whole pig?
    I have bought a few from Hess Meat in Muenster, bet you could get one from Fischers as well, they are not cheap but dang they are good. Order it now if you want it by Sep.

Comment

Hamilton’s or Kennedy’s in Weatherford would prob help you out

Comment

If you want the best results for a head/skin on pig you should do direct coal. If you do it underground you will not get crispy skin, which is the best part. I roasted this 55lb pig a few weeks ago. I've made a few post on my setup and how I do them. They come out perfect every time. Most butcher shops can order you a whole pig.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Jason85; 08-04-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

try a chinese market.

Comment

Buy one off Craigslist and kill it or go shoot a wild one. Come on man act like this is a hunt page

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
              Buy one off Craigslist and kill it or go shoot a wild one. Come on man act like this is a hunt page
              Wild pigs are not good for what he wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_DeerVito View Post

Hey Danny

My wife and I raise/breed/sell Mangalitsa pigs in Waxahachie. I have a couple pigs on the farm that may fit the bill. I'll let you google search Mangalitsa, but it's a rare, heritage breed pig. Honestly, there's not a better tasting meat, IMO. Below I'll throw a youtube video that explains a bit about the pig. They've only been in the states for a decade or so.

This how to cook Pork Chop vid is the definitive guide to cooking pork. The pork chop recipe is the best i've ever eaten. Shaun Searley from Quality Chop Hou...

Send me a message if interested.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                  In his defense…he is trying to hunt down a pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    Why is that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                      If you want the best results for a head/skin on pig you should do direct coal. If you do it underground you will not get crispy skin, which is the best part. I roasted this 55lb pig a few weeks ago. I've made a few post on my setup and how I do them. They come out perfect every time. Most butcher shops can order you a whole pig.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                      I have a La Caja China roasting box, it does a hell of a job on a whole pig, Cubans know how to roast a pig.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                        Hey Danny

My wife and I raise/breed/sell Mangalitsa pigs in Waxahachie. I have a couple pigs on the farm that may fit the bill. I'll let you google search Mangalitsa, but it's a rare, heritage breed pig. Honestly, there's not a better tasting meat, IMO. Below I'll throw a youtube video that explains a bit about the pig. They've only been in the states for a decade or so.

This how to cook Pork Chop vid is the definitive guide to cooking pork. The pork chop recipe is the best i've ever eaten. Shaun Searley from Quality Chop Hou...

Send me a message if interested.

Jay
                        The wagyu of the pig world?

All the ones we've ever done we're fantastic!
                        Maybe not as good as a store bout pig, honestly can't say, as I've never had one cooked this way.

Comment

What??
                          That’s pretty much all I eat.
                          I’ve never had one that didn’t taste great.

Comment

If you’re going to use a wild one you’re going to have to scald and scrap it, not skin it to be able to get crunchy skin. Domestic hogs don’t have the amount of hair wild ones do.

Comment

I think I would start with justhrowit, but if that doesn't work my 1st call would be to Wise Choice Custom Meats in Decatur. They are great people, and I've always been very pleased with their meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X