Clear All

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a tank!!

Comment

The field is starting to leak

Comment

Jake just had a really nice one get by him. Not sure what happened.

Comment

That deer is like 100yrs old

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry boys, what a **** show.. Slipped in the snow and my truck ended up bottomed out in a sand run off. I’ll spare y’all all the details but we just got’r out and back to camp. It’s bad cold out there!

Comment

It’s pretty **** sporty out here this morning! It’s supposed to warm up this afternoon and will probably melt most of the snow. South winds make life way more better for a bow hunter. This is day 4 for the stick and string guys and I sure have my fingers crossed! They have been an awesome couple of guys and are tough as raw hide!

So I found out what happened with Jake... I was 400yds out from him and could see all around him. He’d mentioned that he might shoot a doe if one came in early. She did. I watched intently and after about 30min, there was no shot. I sent a text saying, “She’s clear. No bucks behind her.” I didn’t get a response and assumed he was getting in position for a shot. A good while later he still hadn’t shot. 2 does got down wind of him and got pretty funky. Meanwhile a sure enough stud is walking the top of the berm coming towards him. I sent another text saying, “Big shooter coming your way.” When the buck was ~45yds out I see the original doe sort of spook and run out into the field. The buck rolls in behind her and he takes her out of the field and into the brush. I then get a text saying, “Man I sure F’d that up.”

When I picked him up he told me that he’d been preparing for a shot since she had gotten there but she fed facing or quartering to the entire time. When she got broadside he took the shot. Being jumpy and him shooting a long bow she turned at the shot and he hit her in the ham. He never saw the buck until he took the doe out into the field. He also hadn’t gotten my texts because he was trying to shoot and his phone was in his pocket.

We gave her some time, came back to camp, regrouped and went back with a thermal scanner and lights. We did our due dillon to recover his doe but the sign suggested a flesh wound in heavy muscle tissue. We were coming to a corner of a field and I turned but my truck did not. I slid off into a sand wash and in a blink of an eye I was sitting on the frame. Burr came to the rescue and we broke the lariat rope that we were using for a tow strap. The customers offered to go pick up a tow strap from the truck stop, we gathered back up, and after some digging and spinning we managed to get unstuck and back to camp. That’s where I realized that one of the lease members turned off the sink faucet in my camper and my water lines are now frozen and I didn’t get a shower. I’m dirty and stinky but we’ll sort it all out later this morning.
              #GuideLife

Comment

Just another day at the office for you. [emoji23]

Comment

We have an arrow in a nice 8pt that I bad wanted someone to shoot. The shooter held low anticipating a duck Nd it never came. He watched the deer bed 80yds out and things were looking pretty decent for me to come in with a follow up. The neighbor drove his fence line and to feed the cows and bumped the buck. I’m slipping in to take a peek in about 30min and we’ll make a decision from there.

Comment

Hope he doesnt go far and you can get a shot on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mr. Ryan killed one of the hardest deer I’ve ever hunted. I’ve never had a deer more regular to never have been seen by anyone other than me. And that was only once and a mile and a half from where he was killed! He made a good shot, caught 1 lung and liver. He held low anticipating a reaction to the shot and there was none. Super glad to have recovered his deer. This gentleman owns an outfitter service in South Dakota and hunts 180,000 acres. He’s seen a big one before but was super appreciative and very excited about his deer. These are the guys I like to take hunting!!!

Comment

Totally awesome Steve... Like the "Lufkin" unit in the background too!!

Comment

Just laced up the biggest porcupine I’ve ever seen. He’s 2/3 the size of a corn sack.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            Just laced up the biggest porcupine I’ve ever seen. He’s 2/3 the size of a corn sack.

[emoji23] I like it!

Comment

Jake bounced an arrow off of the shoulder blade of a big old war horse 8pt this evening. He’s had a pretty rough hunt and I truly hate that. He’s a super good dude, both of these guys are. They’ve been a pure pleasure to hunt with.

Comment

We’re back at it this morning and it’s started off with what is getting to be a relatively common occurrence on this field. So for everyone who hasn’t spent a lot of time field hunting in December especially I’ll give you the low down on how it’s done. If you’re going to hunt them in the morning you had better have a bulletproof entry and exit or you’re going to blow the field out. The deer are already in the field so a really good tactic is to back off of the places where they go to bed and see where they go in. You then have an idea how to set up on them in the afternoon. That’s what I was doing the other morning when I was accused of trespassing, that’s what I do almost every single morning, that’s why my hunters have been very successful in the afternoon, and that’s what I am doing this morning.

I haven’t watched this field since the last incident so I go about a mile past it and back to the west for no other reason than to give the guy some space. Just before daylight, a black F350 pulls up behind me, stops, turns their lights on my truck and just sits there... I get out, walk back to the truck and say good morning.

“Good morning ma’am, can I help you?”
                                “What are you doing?”
                                “I have this field leased and the one on the north side of the county road also. I’m just parked on this ridge to see how the deer are leaving the fields.”
                                “Well I have been warned about this truck in the community.”
                                “Yes ma’am, I had a misunderstanding with the gentleman down the road the other morning. I actually called in to the sheriffs office and game wardens myself that morning. I can assure you I’m not hunting or doing anything else shady. I don’t even have a loaded rifle in the vehicle.”
                                “Well, I’m calling it in.”
                                “Yes ma’am, so am I.”

This is getting old. It’s 30° and I’m sitting in my truck wearing nothing but a hoodie, jeans, and cowboy boots. I don’t try to run, I get out and visit anytime someone pulls up. I’m very respectful and I’m conducting business in the right way. I get the self policing, hell I applaud it and will gladly join in. I’m just so burned out with the, “We hate all hunters” mentality in cow country.

Comment

Working...
                                X