Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison - Ice Bath vs Dry Experiment Results

The consumers have spoken!

The same whitetail doe, cooled within 5 hours of harvest, processed the same, using the same cuts, each dish prepared and seasoned the same. The only difference - half was aged (7 days) in an Ice Bath while the other half was kept Dry (see ice chest photo).

Three dishes were prepared - Pulled BBQ, Mississippi Pot Roast, and Grilled Backstrap (medium rare) for both Ice Bath and Dry (6 total dishes). Evaluators (N=28) were given blind samples (labeled 1 or 2) and asked to score each on a 1-6 scale where...

Tenderness
    1 = Very tough, can't chew it
    6 = Melt in your mouth

Flavor - Gamey or not
    1 = Strong, very gamey taste
    6 = Not gamey at all, could be beef

See attached charts for summary of results.

Evaluators were also asked to mark their preference of each blind dish. Those preferences averaged 45.1% for Ice Bath and 54.9% for Dry.

Due to the tiny margins of differences, I did not bother with statistical analysis. Bottom line - It doesn't matter. Do what works for you in your situation. Please feel free to share. Hope this will help end the debate.
    Attached Files

I would have guessed that they would have been about equal. 7 days isn’t really enough time for dramatic changes.

Comment

Ice water bath or ice bath? I keep mine in ice like your “ice bath” pic but never let the meat soak in water. No grey meat in my ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        Ice water bath or ice bath? I keep mine in ice like your “ice bath” pic but never let the meat soak in water. No grey meat in my ice.
        That photo was right after I finished quartering. It soaks in icy water. Yes, it turns grey. No, it does not effect meat flavor or tenderness as the experiment reveals. I will say, that the dry handles and processes more "neatly".

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          I would have guessed that they would have been about equal. 7 days isn’t really enough time for dramatic changes.
          I was shooting for 10 days but had to work that coming weekend. Given the high scores and praise from the evaluators, it was plenty or not needed. Next experiment might likely be aged vs straight to the freezer.

Comment

Cool experiment. I always use the ice bath, but keep the plug open to allow the watet to drain. Did you allow the water to drain as the ice melted?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Cool experiment. I always use the ice bath, but keep the plug open to allow the watet to drain. Did you allow the water to drain as the ice melted?
              No, sir. Just drained about once and refilled with ice and water. The meat sits in icy water. The meat turns grey but that's okay.

Comment

Pretty interesting, I like it. I would assume dry aging wouldn’t result in huge differences unless for a prolonged time. This makes me want to read more on aging meats and what is actually happening during the process (protein vs fat).

Comment

I believe the key is getting the meat to a cold temperature ASAP

Comment

I like it. I’m an in between guy. Put the meat in the ice but drain frequently.

It makes sense, the purpose of resting in the cooler is mostly to let the extra liquids drain from the muscle and let the muscle relax.

Extended dry aging requires a bit more to let the microbes do their thing without spoiling the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      I was shooting for 10 days but had to work that coming weekend. Given the high scores and praise from the evaluators, it was plenty or not needed. Next experiment might likely be aged vs straight to the freezer.
                      Thanks for sharing.

In on aged v freezer. I think meateater did old v young on a show right in field. No noticable difference if I remember correct.

Comment

My efforts are always dry and goal is to start cooling within 40 min. No complaints.

Comment

Just my opinion. Don’t get ****** at me but if you soak in water it takes the blood out and all the flavor. That’s where your flavor is is in the blood in the meat. I’ve had both and mine goes strictly on ice but above the ice. I do my own meat processing, but if you don’t I will bet they don’t put it in ice water to age it.

Comment

There is no “blood” (hemoglobin) in muscle tissue. Myoglobin is the red you see in meat after the blood vessels have been drained which happens when the vitals of the animal is shot and bleeds out. Meat is 65-70 percent water. Water has no flavor which is why when meat is dry aged for longer periods of time than done in this experiment the flavor is enhanced.

Meat can become water logged however, by how much I do not know but would literally water down the flavor of the meat. From the OPs experiment obviously 7 days makes only a slight difference.

Comment

Awesome experiment. I have never tried dry. Will definitely do a little next time one ends up hanging. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X