Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Ford F-150 troubleshooting (engine sputtering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2014 f 150, 5.0 liter V8. High mileage as it’s a work and personal truck 250,000.

I’m having issues with it starting fine, then sputtering and dying. I can press on the gas and it might rev up one time then sputters and dies.

I’ve put a code reader on it and am getting no codes. Looking for any feedback of someone that’s had similar issues possibly. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to verify if this could be a spark or fuel issue. Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? Need to find out how much fuel pressure there is or lack of.

Comment

Spark plugs ever been done? That and a good cleaning of the throttle body and some fuel injector cleaner in the tank will do the trick. Also run 93 octane for the first few fill-ups.

Comment

Spark plugs have not been done before. I did not think it was them as it seems to have just happened all at once.

I did run a fuel injection cleaner through about a month ago, as well as a catalytic cleaner.

The fuel pump has not been replaced on this vehicle either.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
          Need to verify if this could be a spark or fuel issue. Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? Need to find out how much fuel pressure there is or lack of.
          Original fuel pump in the vehicle.

How would I test fuel pressure.

So the truck would do this occasionally after it would sit for the weekend. I would start it, it would run a little ragged. Once I have it gas and put it in gear it would run better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
            Original fuel pump in the vehicle.

How would I test fuel pressure.

So the truck would do this occasionally after it would sit for the weekend. I would start it, it would run a little ragged. Once I have it gas and put it in gear it would run better.

A Chevy would have already turned all its feet up, but even a Ford needs a little TLC after a couple hundred thousand..........

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              A Chevy would have already turned all its feet up, but even a Ford needs a little TLC after a couple hundred thousand..........

This is true lol

Comment

I would bet on the fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by breese View Post
                  I would bet on the fuel pump.

Even with it starting up fine every time?

Comment

Could also be fuel filter, inside frame rail driver side I believe

Comment

Even with it starting up fine every time?

It may be putting out low pressure. I haven’t kept up with Ford but it may use a schraeder valve similar to a valve stem on a tire. On older vehicles you screw on a fitting attached to a flexible hose and gauge to measure fuel pressure when the key is on.

Another thing, does your pickup have a fuel filter that can be changed? Also maje sure the air filter is clean and not obstructed.

At that mileage the fuel pump is definitely suspect. More than likely is located in fuel tank.

Comment

Spark plugs have not been done before. I did not think it was them as it seems to have just happened all at once.

I did run a fuel injection cleaner through about a month ago, as well as a catalytic cleaner.

The fuel pump has not been replaced on this vehicle either.

My wife's 2012 w/5.4 did the same, all at once like you stated. If you've never done plugs I'm pretty sure that's your problem. Much more common then a failing fuel pump.

Comment

Do plugs and ignition coils, that’ll solve your problem I bet

Comment

All eight plugs or coils fail at the same time? Doubtful. My money is on fuel pump or inline filter if it has one.

Comment

How do u go about testing the fuel filter? It’s obviously coming on so I can crank it. So how do I test pressure?

Comment

Working...
                              X