Galveston Area Vacation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never been to the area, so wondering about several things. I hear Galveston Beaches are a bit restrictive.

Is it better to stay in or very close to Galveston or better to be down the coast a little further. If so, what towns should I look at?

We're mostly looking for some beach days and touristy stuff.

I have a lot of Holiday Inn points, so staying in that hotel chain (free) is extremely likely.

I assume with the Governor saying 'open up', Texas is going to be better than a lot of places!

The water isn't very nice in Galveston at all. If I were you, I would look around Corpus or South Padre Island.

Comment

If you are going to travel from Illinois to a nice beach Galveston will be disappointing.

You can get some great food in the area and a few trinkets. But, if you want nicer water and beachfront I recommend you go further down the coast.

90% of the time Galveston basically looks like ditch water.

Comment

If you are coming from Illinois I would look at the Florida panhandle vs. Texas beaches

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
          If you are coming from Illinois I would look at the Florida panhandle vs. Texas beaches
          This or Port Aransas south. The Corpus airport is also one of the easiest in the state to get in and out of fwiw.

Comment

Even Mississippi and Alabama have nicer beaches.

Comment

Going to Florida next week. Looking at Texas because the last couple days can be a Blackbuck hunt. Will look at Corpus.

Comment

But....... If you wanted to come to Galveston, you could cross the ferry to the Bolivar Peninsula. There you can actually drive your vehicle on the beach and stop by our soon to be newly opened store Crystal Beach Decor' and More. There you will have the opportunity to see one of the largest whitetail deer you have ever seen, as you buy RTIC cups, shirts, Game Guard shirts and much, much more!

Comment

Galveston is a S**t hole

Comment

Stay in Galveston. Lots to do on the strand and walking the sea wall at night is pretty fun. There's a lot to do downtown on the strand.

For beaches, use the ferry to go to Crystal beach. Beaches are way better and there are less people.

Comment

Originally posted by DXT Steve View Post
                      But....... If you wanted to come to Galveston, you could cross the ferry to the Bolivar Peninsula. There you can actually drive your vehicle on the beach and stop by our soon to be newly opened store Crystal Beach Decor' and More. There you will have the opportunity to see one of the largest whitetail deer you have ever seen, as you buy RTIC cups, shirts, Game Guard shirts and much, much more!
                      This ^^^.
                      You can rent a really nice house for a lot less on Bolivar.
                      Beaches are wide open over there, and everything is laid back compared to G-Town.
                      Ride the ferry over over to Galveston each day.
                      Definitely not Florida water, but personally I love the area.
                      Always said I was going to move back one day, but haven't made it yet .

Comment

Originally posted by DXT Steve View Post
                        True dat!

Comment

Dont listen to the nay-sayers. Me and my family love Galveston.
                          If you stay on the island, take the ferry over to Bolivar and eat at Stingarees
                          Eat at The Spot
                          Go to The Strand, Moody Gardens and Scliterbahn

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Beach water color is over rated BS. We’ve been several times to Crystal Beach/Bolivar and our families have a blast. We VRBO front row house with a walk over and the party is on. We cross over at high island so no ferry necessary, if the women want to go to Galveston they can cross and do women stuff. Highly reccomend the area, and new things are being built. Most everything there has been built since the cane in 09.

I wouldn’t stay IN Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-03-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Beach water color is over rated BS. We’ve been several times to Crystal Beach/Bolivar and our families have a blast. We VRBO front row house with a walk over and the party is on. We cross over at high island so no ferry necessary, if the women want to go to Galveston they can cross and do women stuff. Highly reccomend the area, and new things are being built. Most everything there has been built since the cane in 09.

I wouldn’t stay IN Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This ^^^. Color doesn't matter, I live about 20 miles from crystal beach, we have a blast there. Bring your buggy to ride the beach and your boat to fish east Bay.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X