Attic insulation options / Home energy efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attic insulation options / Home energy efficiency

I'm starting to research some different options for cooling down my attic and making my home more energy efficient.

Ventilation may be a concern. My soffit vents look to be a bit plugged up with paint from having the house painted, and I suspect blow-in insulation is covering them on the other side in the attic.

Considering everything from:
    - DIY Radiant barrier foil
    - Solar attic fans
    - Paying a contractor to spray foam seal the attic

I have gas appliances so I'm told spray foam may not be an option.

Basically I'm looking for the most bang for my buck in energy savings.

I'd appreciate hearing any feedback / experiences...

in for the same

Comment

You MUST have good air flow through your attic or anything you spend $$ on will be wasted. Get someone up there to clear the vents of paint and insulation on the inside. Passive air is all you need. Don't need an attic fan if you have enough square inches of intake to out flow.

Start there at before you make any other choices.

Comment

How much head room is in your attic?

If it’s at least 6’ at the peak, your best bang for your buck is probably new soffit venting, ridge venting, and blow in 18” of loose fill fiberglass.

This will really work in any size attic, but the higher the peak, the better it will breathe.

Spray foam will have the largest impact, but you better have people who know their stuff and probably be ready to replace HVAC system in the near future because you will probably throw off its size. You will have to bring in combustion air for the gas appliances. It will be “foam insulated” but not “encapsulated.”

Comment

If it’s at least 6’ at the peak, your best bang for your buck is probably new soffit venting, ridge venting, and blow in 18” of loose fill fiberglass.

This will really work in any size attic, but the higher the peak, the better it will breathe.

Spray foam will have the largest impact, but you better have people who know their stuff and probably be ready to replace HVAC system in the near future because you will probably throw off its size. You will have to bring in combustion air for the gas appliances. It will be “foam insulated” but not “encapsulated.”

Comment

As stated AC size will be the big issue.

Comment

With Spray Foam

Comment

You mind going into more detail about the ac issue with spray foam? I wanna make sure I understand before I consider it! Thanks
                Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

Comment

I’ve been researching solar attic fans. Most common conclusion seems to be they’re a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                    I’ve been researching solar attic fans. Most common conclusion seems to be they’re a waste of money.
                    Correct. Soffit vent and ridge vent ...best aiflow you can buy.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

In.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

Matt if he isn’t totally encapsulated why would he have to change HVAC and add make up air?

If the walls aren’t sealed wouldn’t there likely be enough air infiltration around doors & windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Matt if he isn’t totally encapsulated why would he have to change HVAC and add make up air?

If the walls aren’t sealed wouldn’t there likely be enough air infiltration around doors & windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Foam is more of a system than just adding it. Foam needs to circulate more air around the house and needs to match the unit

Comment

Not an AC guy but basically AC cools faster so shuts off quicker and doesn't run through full cycle. By not running through full cycle AC can't help dehumidify your house which will cause issues.

Comment

thanks for all the good feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X