Elephant Mountain WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephant Mountain WMA

Hey Guys, I got drawn for the Elephant Mountain WMA Gun Mule Deer Hunt from 1/1-4/18, and am pretty pumped! I was hoping some of ya'll would have any advise as to what gear to bring, what the camping situation is like, what to expect, etc... Also, is anyone else on here drawn for the same hunt? Would be nice to meet some fellow TBHers. Thanks in advance!

My son was drawn for the youth rifle Nov 23-25. So following for any advice as well.

Comment

here is some info from my archery hunt, plus advice from others

Comment

Should be good. Congrats

Comment

Camping area in your compartment is just a cleared off pad. They might let you camp at the check in area, not sure. Can't cut firewood so you have to bring it with you. Some really nice bucks out thee. I went with archery one year. Could have killed several good deer with a rifle. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
            here is some info from my archery hunt, plus advice from others

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=702936
            Thanks for the link! You are right, lots of good info.

Comment

ca1219, my son was drawn for the same hunt and we're pretty fired up. I suppose we'll see you out there.
              Last edited by ScottFW; 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Elephant Mountain WMA Youth Hunt

Originally posted by ca1219 View Post
                My son was drawn for the youth rifle Nov 23-25. So following for any advice as well.

ca1219, my son was drawn as well. If you want to compare notes, let me know. I've talked to a few guides and have called the biologist out there.

Comment

I drove to Elephant Mountain for a possible standby position, again this year. Thankfully I got lucky last year (details in a previous post). The drawing was yesterday morning and that hunt is currently "in progress"
                  I was not as lucky this year and was not drawn.
                  However, a couple of guys that were drawn, have been making that trip, numerous times, trying to get lucky on a standby pick. I have seen these guys at several other properties, also, and they seemed to be "snakebit"; as their luck has been terrible.
                  Although I was disappointed and "possibly a little bit jealous", I am genuinely happy for those guys and wish them good luck and success.
                  That is a great place.
                  And by-the-way, kudos to Dewey Stockhorst, the biologist who handles the hunt there. Besides being a "nice guy", he handles the drawing in a very professional and fair manner, as opposed to some of the questionable things I have experienced at a couple of other properties.

Comment

Good luck to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                      I drove to Elephant Mountain for a possible standby position, again this year. Thankfully I got lucky last year (details in a previous post). The drawing was yesterday morning and that hunt is currently "in progress"
                      I was not as lucky this year and was not drawn.
                      However, a couple of guys that were drawn, have been making that trip, numerous times, trying to get lucky on a standby pick. I have seen these guys at several other properties, also, and they seemed to be "snakebit"; as their luck has been terrible.
                      Although I was disappointed and "possibly a little bit jealous", I am genuinely happy for those guys and wish them good luck and success.
                      That is a great place.
                      And by-the-way, kudos to Dewey Stockhorst, the biologist who handles the hunt there. Besides being a "nice guy", he handles the drawing in a very professional and fair manner, as opposed to some of the questionable things I have experienced at a couple of other properties.
                      Dewey's last name is Stockbridge. Great guy.

Comment

You're correct! My Bad!
                        My doctor's last name is Stockhorst.
                        Temporary insanity is my plea!!

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                          he handles the drawing in a very professional and fair manner, as opposed to some of the questionable things I have experienced at a couple of other properties.
                          I have experienced several questionable things at some of them also. Probably the same places

Comment

Working...
                          X