Chandeleur Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doug View Post
    I'll bring a rig if yall wana play! Got a new to me avet 30w that needs to be broke in. And notice i said yall, I'll just sit back and watch the show!
    That works. I'll leave my 30w at home then. Now if we could get Philip to make sure the Captain is ok with this little experiment.

Comment

I’ll ask him. We fished behind the boat, not sure why he would mind a shark rod back there.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I’ll ask him. We fished behind the boat, not sure why he would mind a shark rod back there.
        Sounds good. If you get the go ahead I'll bring my rig and some leaders.

Comment

So who’s all on the list that is going now ?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            It absolutely is Oscar! If the weather is good enough to get out there, the fish are there. Earlier in the year it's more trout less redfish... as the weather warms, the reds move in in GIANT schools... Might be a bit chilly to wade without waders, but drifting the flats works too. Water warms up pretty quick out there.
            He is all about specks!
            Don't have the connections any longer, but the absolute best way for 2 or 3 to fish the islands is by float plane. I know there are a few charters that do that and they either fly out of Belle Chase or off Chef Highway on the east side of New Orleans... That's my favorite way to fish out there!
            I had no idea. Do they come back each day or have a camp out there for a 1 night stay.?
            Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Our captain last time said earlier in the year is the best out there, but the weather is generally more unpredictable.
            I can always stay at mom's and dad's and wait a few days if it clears up. Thx guys, yall are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              He is all about specks!

I had no idea. Do they come back each day or have a camp out there for a 1 night stay.?

I can always stay at mom's and dad's and wait a few days if it clears up. Thx guys, yall are awesome.
              The ones we fished with fly out and back each day.

Comment

Alls yall gotta do is hook that rascal and hop skiffs till you get to the last one on the chain and get after it.

Easy Peasy

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Alls yall gotta do is hook that rascal and hop skiffs till you get to the last one on the chain and get after it.

Easy Peasy
                  Yea, about that...I would end up swimming trying to go from skiff to skiff. Hungry sharks and me making a big splash probably wouldn't work out in my favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    Yea, about that...I would end up swimming trying to go from skiff to skiff. Hungry sharks and me making a big splash probably wouldn't work out in my favor.
                    If you don't like sharks don't get close to me, them suckers sure like to find me. I guarantee I'll have one or 2 following me

Comment

Last time I went i spent a lot of my time in the guts coming in from the surf. I pulled in quite a few half eaten redfish!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        He is all about specks!

If you are interested in taking the float plane out there and want to stay for more than one day, this is where I would stay. Pretty cool setup and they have the skiffs out there for you too.

Full service meal and lodging accomodations on a jacked-up platform located in the Chandeleur Island chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          If you don't like sharks don't get close to me, them suckers sure like to find me. I guarantee I'll have one or 2 following me
                          If you don't like sharks, you best not even go to the Chandeleur's!! They've never bothered me, but a few guys that have gone out with us over the years, would not get out the boat after the first morning wade... They've never bothered me, but I've seen 'em from the air while fishing via a float plane, and there are a bunch of BIG sharks all around those islands, a LOT of 'em!! And at certain times, there are a lot of big stingrays too... Now those suckers bother me... Got hit once... don't ever want to experience that again!!

Still, that's my favorite place on the planet to fish!!

Comment

If you don't like sharks, you best not even go to the Chandeleur's!! They've never bothered me, but a few guys that have gone out with us over the years, would not get out the boat after the first morning wade... They've never bothered me, but I've seen 'em from the air while fishing via a float plane, and there are a bunch of BIG sharks all around those islands, a LOT of 'em!! And at certain times, there are a lot of big stingrays too... Now those suckers bother me... Got hit once... don't ever want to experience that again!!

Still, that's my favorite place on the planet to fish!!
                            I saw a stingray when we were there that looked like he was about 5’ across. Lol. That freaked me out more than any shark. That big sucker would have gone right through my ray boots.

Comment

Yep, when we used to fish out the plane, we'd see acres of those suckers on certain shorelines then nothing for miles... Needless to say, we just flew right on by those areas where the rays were to find a school of fish... Buddy of mine got knocked smooth down by one of those big rays... he stepped on him in murkey water and the water exploded and he went arse over elbows down! Fortunately the ray didn't hit him with the business end when he took off...

Comment

Cool thread here, fished the Chandeleurs many times. Lots of sharks, lots of reds and lots of fun. We always fished with Due South Charters and I can't recommend those guys enough. James is a stand up guy and runs a good shop.

AC

Comment

Working...
                                X