No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started working on the rub/spray rail. I won’t explain it yet but will on the next update.

Comment

Okay, here’s the rundown on what I am doing. I ripped 3/4” closed cell foam down to 2” wide strips and epoxied it double thick to the underside of the 6mm drip edge. After it cures I will band the outside edge with a 2” strip of 6mm and glass it all into the hull. My bumper material can then be secured to the outer band of 6mm during final assembly. If I lost you it should make sense later this week in my progress posts.

Comment

Maybe this picture will help show what I attempted to explain in the previous post. After I finish installing them all I will spread thickened epoxy to make radius transitions then fiberglass them into place.

Comment

I just wrapped up installing both sides and figured I would post the “money shot”

Comment

this is legit

Comment

Watching this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I got a little work done today while smoking a brisket. Strakes have been epoxied and the spray rails have been glassed in. Tomorrow I will cut in my navigation lights and start faring!

Comment

Looking good. Been following.

Comment

One mistake I made when building my first boat was "lack of strakes". On my first outing with it on a duck hunt, I had the little 5hp '58 Evo at full throttle, and the old golden dog jumped off the bow in the middle of the lake after a gray herring. I turned the tiller only to find the hull sliding sideways in the same direction I was headed before I tried to make the turn.

I shut it down spun and went and picked up the dog. He and I both were glad I got it under control.

Love the color of that wood Michael!

Comment

So is the foam supporting the gunnel? Looks like the foam was wider then the wood? Am I wrong or maybe i missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                        So is the foam supporting the gunnel? Looks like the foam was wider then the wood? Am I wrong or maybe i missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are currently correct. When I flip her back over I will fill the 1” gap with strips of 6mm. I ended up having to go a little wider to accept the flip up cleats. The foam is supporting the spray rail more than the gunnels plus it will provide plenty depth for the recessed cleats.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          One mistake I made when building my first boat was "lack of strakes". On my first outing with it on a duck hunt, I had the little 5hp '58 Evo at full throttle, and the old golden dog jumped off the bow in the middle of the lake after a gray herring. I turned the tiller only to find the hull sliding sideways in the same direction I was headed before I tried to make the turn.

I shut it down spun and went and picked up the dog. He and I both were glad I got it under control.

Love the color of that wood Michael!

That would be crazy for sure

Comment

The question keeps coming up of why I am not combining steps and saving myself time. Well, that is a very valid question and one that deserves to be answered in a post of its own.

4-5 years ago my best friend unknowingly planted the idea in my head of building my own boat. For years I have thought about what my perfect boat would be researching materials, costs, and designs. Last summer I came upon a plan by Bateau that was very close to what I wanted but still missing something. I went ahead and settled on their design ordering a set of prints. After ordering the Okoume 6mm plywood from Boat Builders Central in Florida (I am in Texas) I stumbled across SaltBoatworks.com and their Flats River Skiff, the FRS-14.

The decision was not hard, I ordered a set of Adam’s plans and abandoned the Bateau ones. It called for the same materials and checked all the mental boxes except a couple of which I could easily incorporate.

With the materials stacked in my very cluttered workshop I began cutting, scarphing, and stitching the hull together. After I saw her long slender profile I dubbed the “Project Skipjack”. Being a former woodworker, more specifically a trim guy, I knew the final finish would all be in the details plus I had waited the better part of 4 years and did not want to rush. I did set a couple time goals for various phases of the build but they were quickly ignored because the last thing I wanted to do is complete the build with regret!

I have enjoyed each and every step of the build thus far working on her only when I want to for I have no deadline. The end goal is to not only enjoy the build but when complete, have what will look like a full production boat instead of home built. I hope this has answered the question of why I am not combining steps. Now, order yourself a set of plans from Adam, practice safe social distancing and build a boat! All the best and God Bless.

Comment

I managed to get the navigation lights cut in and half the hull coated in epoxy with graphite before it started kicking 20-25 minutes in. This humidity is kicking my backside! Tomorrow I will try and coat the other half of the hull then it will be ready to start faring Thursday (ish).

Comment

This is amazing. Wish i had the patience

Comment

Working...
                                X