No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters Thread 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an email about a single CWD case coming out of a breeder facility in Duval. We're not close but may be a couple on here that are within the zone. It's most north eastern point of Duval

Dear Texas Landowner,
    The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) continues to be proactive in containing Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) by maintaining regulations designed to improve detection and reduce artificial/accidental movement of the disease.
    TEXAS PARKS & WILDLIFE
    Life's better outside.
    In the summer of 2021, a single CWD positive white-tailed deer was discovered in a deer breeding facility in Duval county. As a result, TPWD is focusing on an increased deer sampling effort in the northeastern corner of Duval county, spreading into Jim Wells, McMullen, and Live Oak counties. Please review the included map and informational flyer for details.
    Commissioners
    Arch "Beaver" Aplin, III
    Chairman Lake Jackson
    TPWD will host an informational meeting on the current status of CWD in Texas and the impacts that a voluntary sampling effort may have on your property this year and in future years as associated with the management of CWD.
    **** Scott Vice-Chairman
    Wimberley
    James E. Abell
    Kilgore
    CWD Informational Meeting Thursday, October 28, 2021
    Oliver J. Bell
    Cleveland
    6:30pm-8:00pm
    Paul L. Foster
    El Paso
    Anna B. Galo
    Laredo
    Jim Wells County Fairgrounds - Merchant's Building
    3001 S Johnson St
    Jeffery D. Hildebrand
    Houston
    Alice, TX 78332

Comment

Well we hunted ON the river for 31 years, but it was different times back then... Best duck lease I ever had!! That river is full of every kind of duck you can imagine!! Dang shame it's so messed up now!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Well we hunted ON the river for 31 years, but it was different times back then... Best duck lease I ever had!! That river is full of every kind of duck you can imagine!! Dang shame it's so messed up now!
        This place has a some ponds on it, so we'd be hopeful we could make some duck hunts too!

Comment

I have three confirmed bucks that look like they have put on zero inches in the antler department, two even look to have degraded (I'd bet none are over 5). This counters all expectations after the wet weather we had this year. Thoughts? Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
            I have three confirmed bucks that look like they have put on zero inches in the antler department, two even look to have degraded (I'd bet none are over 5). This counters all expectations after the wet weather we had this year. Thoughts? Anyone else seeing this?
            I have about ten confirmed buck in between 5-9 years old that put on zero-five inches from Last year. Webb County

Comment

My best friend shot this buck off of the family ranch. Its his biggest buck from their place. I had to do my best to talk him into shooting this deer, he is one of those types who will kill the hell out of a 4 year old 7 point, but will almost fill guilty shooting a trophy buck off of the ranch. This one grossed 182" with double drops and was 7 or 8 years old. Alittle over 23" inside with 25" beams and about 9" in drops.

They do not have any protein, cotton seed, food plots, or anything like that. Just 5 corn feeders that may or may not be filled at any given time and alot of corned roads. This deer is as natural as they get these days, I do bet he would have been a 200" deer on protein. Also that coyote is very lucky he came out that day when we where looking for this buck.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                I have about ten confirmed buck in between 5-9 years old that put on zero-five inches from Last year. Webb County
                I'm new down here - is that typical on a wet year? or do some genetics just never do much?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  It’s still early but rt now it appears our 3-5 yr olds put on some inches but our 6&7 yr olds digressed. Some went down A LOT!

Comment

I have a 10pt that looks identical to last year. Was pretty disappointed

Comment

Yep, the deer on my place are about like the last three comments. No growth or shrunk a little.

Comment

No growths the bucks but the Mexicans made a jump this year. Holy crap we are overrun on our lease.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                          I'm new down here - is that typical on a wet year? or do some genetics just never do much?
                          Too many variables, I cant really explain it. Maybe the hard freeze in February that killed everything. Out of all the Mature bucks I’m keeping track of none made a good jump this season. Several are smaller antler wise then last year, majority are same size.

Comment

I will be down tomorrow until Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m here now...... where are the rabbits??? Did the freeze get them?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                I’m here now...... where are the rabbits??? Did the freeze get them?

We have about 47,000 at our pasture between Freer & Laredo. Predators are eating pretty well this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X