Fire Ants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Ants?

What Impact will the deep freeze have on fire Ants? I know they generally dont live in cold environments. The mounds around my place show no sign of ants so far. Yall think the freeze thinned them out?

I've been wondering the same thing. With all the moisture in the ground and warm temps this week I think we will know soon enough if mounds start popping up everywhere.

Comment

Working on sprinkler system yesterday my oldest boy stood in a mound and wish he hadn’t. Lol.

Comment

Fire ants just drill deeper into the ground for freeze protection. They just spent the past week makin more baby ants to replace the ones that froze!

Comment

I am thinking like loco. Probably just went deeper to get away from cold surface temps.

But I also think it might have thinned them out like you said. Might be hard to notice though.

J

Comment

Nothing

Comment

I've thinned 'em out also using a combo of Amdro, the old "bait" stuff, where the water hose won't reach, and Spectracide stuff that you gotta water in! I spend hundreds $$ each year just keepin 'em in check. Will never get rid of 'em.

Comment

I think they go down like 10ft. I am sure it is warm at that level

Comment

Only thing kills them is poison. Lots and lots of poison.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Give it time, they'll be back.

When they build the big mounds after a good rain, I mix up a batch of Demon in a 5 gallon bucket and pour on the mounds. Them suckers are dead in minutes.

Comment

I hope it killed them all but I am pessimistic...

Comment

I kicked a mound yesterday just to see and they came out ****** off. Only time I have seen it kill them off was when the ground was super saturated and then the hard freeze hits.

Comment

None. Them A-holes ain't going anywhere.

Comment

They are fine. They will be back.

Comment

No effect. Same with skeeters and ticks. We found a tick on our dog this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X