Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a safe into a closet during remodel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a safe into a closet during remodel?

I am going to be remodeling the master bedroom/bath soon and will have a small area of "dead" space. I was thinking about a small closet with the space but have recently been thinking about buying a 30 inch by 30 inch safe (or as close as I can) and building it into the "closet".

I am not to worried about theft as much as I am fire.
    I live in a volunteer fire department area (they do a great job for the most part), but most structure fires are heavily damaged to total losses. I was thinking about surrounding the safe/inside of the closet with fire board or fire rated sheetrock to help give it a little more protection.

Anybody done this when remodeling or building a home.
    What did you do to help "fire proof" it?
    Also, any recommendations on a good fire rated safe please.

Thanks!

Sheet rock is about as good of fire protection as you can get. And get a fire rated door. Neither will help much with structure collapse.

Comment

Get a very well fire rated safe and do as you plan for the added protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Y’all using just regular sheet rock

Comment

Agree with the others. Most safes just have more sheet rock type board on the inside for longer fire ratings. That’s why the heavier the safe the more fire protection, usually....

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
            Y’all using just regular sheet rock
            Thicker sheet rock offers more protection. It's been 30 years since I studied it but NFPA FIRE PROTECTION HANDBOOK had several pages covering the fire rating you can obtain with sheetrock.

Comment

I did this same thing during a remodel. Built the safe area the size of the safe I ordered. Doubled the Sheetrock on the sides. Built a foundation off the slab about 4”. I did this so my safe was raised to protect from possible water damage, but mainly so the safe wasn’t sitting on the closet flooring so I could change carpet in the future with out moving the safe. I built sturdy shelves above the safe that offered a great area for hunting gear. With the baseboard on the foundation and with the lowest shelf sitting on the top of the safe with trim moulding, it looked good and totally built in. Downside was leaving it when I sold the house, but maybe it was a sales feature

Comment

Double layer of standard Sheetrock has a 90 minute fire rating if you use fire rated materials to tape and float...this is per my friend who is a fire engineer (it’s actually called something fancier). He works in refineries building and inspecting fire proof enclosures and buildings.

Comment

Put it on an exterior wall or 2 would be even better. My closer where my safe is has 2 layers of 5/8” type X fire rated Sheetrock including the ceiling. All joints are staggered and taped with fire tape. The door is a 1 hour rated door. My safe sits against the exterior wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X