What arrow building tools to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What arrow building tools to buy?

I've been interested in building my own arrows for a while. The two main things I would like opinions on are a saw and jig. Should I spend the money to buy a Bitzenburger jig?

Any thoughts on this? Is this a terrible idea?
    Option A: Spend $150 on a commercial arrow saw. Option B: Build your own saw for $50 and put the $100 you save toward arrows. If you're an Option B kind of guy, it only takes a trip to the hardware store and an hour of effort.

What about an arrow squaring tool? Do I really need to spend $40 on one?

Is there anything else that is essential that I need?

Thanks guys

Yes squaring the ends is very important. Blitzenburger is middle of the road but good quality. You can spend up to 200$ on a quality fletching jig. Skys the limit to some extent.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Bitz is nice but I prefer the Arizone EZ fletch mini, does all 3 at one time. Bitz will definitely give you more options

Save some $$$$ and get one of these

Saw is the last thing I would buy but is handy to have one. The one you linked has been used by many and will get the job done

Comment

You can make a jig to square the ends pretty easily. I wouldnt spend $40 on one.

The bitzenburger is nice because its very flexible. If you never change how you fletch then it may not be the best option.

Comment

What is involved in building an arrow?
          Cut to length then fletch?
          You can get that done for 30 or less

Comment

I read on Eastmans that you're supposed to square your arrow a second time after installing the insert. Is that right?

Comment

I don’t hate the saw idea.

Definite yes on the arrow squaring tool. I’d also have a chamfer/debur tool handy. The ones sold for reloading brass work well. Just be very gentle with it.

I’m a big fan of the Arizona ez-fletch. Sure there are more precise/adjustable ones out there but they are hard to beat for the money.

Comment

I have had Bitzenburger jigs for nearly 40 years and an Apple Products saw for 20 years and both perform as new. Buy once cry once.

Comment

I say yes to the arrow squaring tool and a jig of some sort.

You can get arrows cut or buy them cut. Look up South Shore Archery.

The saw can come later or not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About 8 years ago when I jumped into trad I knew I would need to gear-up and start making my own arrows. (tuning can require a lot of cuts) I bought a Weston arrow saw:

I went with the 5,000rpm because it is cheaper and plenty fast for a DIY guy. As far as jigs I bought a Bitz and have been very happy with it. It is slower - one fletch at a time - but easy to use and easy to apply a tight helical. (I shoot feathers and use tape instead of glue - no drying time) This set-up would be inefficient for an archery shop where you may cut dozens a day but between me and my buddies we cut just a few dozen per year. I gulped hard at spending $40 for the ASD but it really cleans up/smooths the cut. I really enjoy arrow building. It's fun to personalize with different wrap/fletch combinations

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      What is involved in building an arrow?
                      Cut to length then fletch?
                      You can get that done for 30 or less
                      I guess that all depends on what you want out of your build.

for my arrow building
                      bitz jig
                      APS square tool (firenock)
                      PAPS (firenock)
                      spine tester Homemade.
                      arrow saw.
                      custom scale.

holy crap I got a ton of money in building arrows. hahaha

Comment

Here’s my setup:

Apple arrow saw
                        Arrow squaring device (G5, I think)
                        Arrow spinner
                        Grain scale with arrow holder
                        Easton Arrow Prep kit
                        Vane Master Pro - I like its repeatability a lot better than my Bitz
                        Mouse pad for when I install wraps
                        A custom PVC pipe arrow holder which can hold a dozen arrows up to 27’s
                        Silver marker for marking nock location during bareshaft tuning and to help determine if arrow is square
                        PVC pipe paper tuning setup
                        Denatured Alcohol
                        Scotch rite pads
                        Q-tips

I think that is about it, besides obvious items like points, glue and vanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X