No announcement yet.

Dilemma with selling house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother in law bought house in Georgetown ten years ago for $148.000. She went to assisted living so our agent said market value today was around $275,000 and put it on the market for $350,000 - agent said do zero improvements and to sell as is. Five days later had a contract on it for $400.000 and closed on it a couple of weeks ago.

I have been around awhile and never seen anything like what is going on. Problem is that every time I have seen real estate go crazy I have then seen it go into the dump - Tricky times right now

Comment

Chew, noticed your location is Kingwood? Grew up in Kingwood and graducated from HS 20 yrs ago. Area was hammered with flooding and really hurt home market. As I am normally would say hold your money and try selling, it might help sell home quicker remodeling.

Comment

Clean it super good, buy some cheap flowers in hanging baskets, and look up how to stage a house. It basically puts it in model, showroom condition- de-cluttering and re-arranging to make it as sellable as possible. You can learn how to do it on your own, no need to pay someone else. It pays off in our experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Do a bunch of upgrades that cost a bunch of money so you can sell house for more and maybe sell it faster?

Or leave house as is, sell for less, save the money, and don't hassle with all the remodeling. Let the new owners pick the tile/cabinets/floors/etc?
          Sell and let the next owner make the decisions.

I am lookin at going backwards. In a few years this house will be 70 years old. I am looking at hireing a full time carpenter to strip paint off our 70 year old oak moldings and doors and clear coat them to make the house look more like it did a long time ago. Will it add value? Will it be cool to have every door in the house brought back to 1949?

Our kitchen and baths were redone in the 70s. I will let the next owner decide what they want...............

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Chew, noticed your location is Kingwood? Grew up in Kingwood and graducated from HS 20 yrs ago. Area was hammered with flooding and really hurt home market. As I am normally would say hold your money and try selling, it might help sell home quicker remodeling.
            We're in a great area. Close to water but high on a hill. No flooding.

Comment

The housing market is crazy right now for sure. I see another crash coming like it did in 08 soon. I dont think this market can sustain the prices these people are paying. When it crashes, they will owe double what their house is worth probaly. I say sell it and make as much money just the way it is and put that towards your retirement home at the property.

Comment

We have remodeled a couple of the houses we have had over the years prior to selling and I can’t honestly say it helped or not on the bottom line. All three we have sold we had a contract with the n a few days.
                With you being in a desired location you should sell very quick.

Comment

IMHO---------- sell, as is..........
                  but....you knew that already......

Comment

Retire, sell your house, and enjoy every day as a Saturday is my suggestion

Comment

Will you stay in your current house long enough to enjoy the upgrades? My neighbor put about $100K into upgrading his home, enjoyed the upgrades for a couple of years and sold a few months ago for $92K over asking. His asking price was already on the high side for our neighborhood. I have about 5 years left where I am and have decided to spend the money upgrading.

Comment

If biden gets his way we'll all be paying 40% capital gains soon enough...... Unless you plan on rolling it over until we get someone in the Whitehouse with a brain....

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess if you're making over 1 million, then yes the 40% capital gains would be an issue.

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                          If biden gets his way we'll all be paying 40% capital gains soon enough...... Unless you plan on rolling it over until we get someone in the Whitehouse with a brain....

Comment

Sell as is. The market is crazy stupid right now. POS houses around here are selling higher than a giraffes butt.

Comment

Your a fool if you think the common man won't be the one footing that bill..... The rich don't pay tax, never have and never will. Sure the libs make it sound like they are raising tax on the wealthy but all that does is make our cost of living go through the roof! They've passed it on to the common man since the lord's ruled the land back in the home land! Loon at oil and gas prices.... The libs want to ban this and ban that and tax this and tax that........ Gas will be $5.00 a gallon before long. Common man is paying for the taxing and regulations not the oil companies......

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                                4 years ago we did all kinds of upgrades and sold our house. We got more than we
                                Thought we would get. The guy that bought it, gutted the whole thing. Wasted money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                This is exactly what happened to us. Don't know if it would have sold as easy without the remodeling. Not sorry I did it.

Comment

Working...
                                X