Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot 19% FOC or greater with a heavy arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, 27% with 670gr of X-Impact .

Comment

I just installed the 100 grain ethics inserts RF mentions, into 300 fmjs. 606 grain with 125 points. it shoots 25 fps slower than the fmjs without the steel inserts. but its only about 2.5 inches lower at 20 yds and same at 10 and 15 yds. But the Bow which was quite, with the standard FMJs got SILENT with the new heavy set up/ Gemsbok here I come.. arrow flight was not affected/ perfect paper hole before and after...
      Last edited by dave kaden; 02-22-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
        If I want to add feather vanes with a slight right helical and do myself what bitzenburger should I buy? Straight or Right helical? Clamp Right helical or right offset?

I may go to vanes but interested in trying feathers out and if doing myself will be much easier than having to go to bowshop (drop off, wait a week, and pick up)
        The Bowtech Assassin might be the best hunting bow ever. Don’t ruin it by using feathers and a high weight, high foc arrow. A mid weight arrow with that bow, at your draw length will be a solid performer.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Lotta talk about FOC in the equipment forum. Do a search and read to your hearts content. I have been doing the same but I'm happy at 425 right now pulling 60lbs. Doesn't mean I'll stay there later but for now 3 dozen arrows suggest I do..
          I went off the deep end and bought a dozen Easton pro comp hunters LOL. 435 gr at 72-73lbs. They should do great. I have a dozen GT pierce platinums but one snapped very weirdly and made me nervous about them. Hence the major upgrade. I gotta run to AC to get em fletched and try them out. Idk about all this FOC talk but mines finna seeeend it!

Comment

I run 555 @ 20% on my personals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ranch fairy makes me giggle.. So much bad information just spewing out there..SMH.. In some situations I can see going over 500 grains.. 30" draw 70-80#.. But that guys is preaching 600+ for guys with 27" draw length.. The goal should be for most people shooting 65-70#, The heaviest arrow you can get to shoot 270-290 fps.. For me thats 460-500 depending on the bow.. Ive shot through a moose, elk and a bunch of big pigs.. the whole 650gr arrow shooting 230 fps is dumb

Edit.. Obviously if someone was hunting a big buffalo a heavy arrow would be a good move. But were talking the NA 29

Comment

420ish and 9% no problems

Comment

Here’s mine:

2016 PSE Full Throttle
                  64lbs 267fps
                  Gold Tip Pierce 250 spine 545gr
                  22.4% foc
                  Insert 42gr
                  Head 125gr
                  3 20gr FACT
                  2 10gr FACT

Haven’t had anything stop them yet.

Comment

I’m at 522 grains and 19%.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      The Bowtech Assassin might be the best hunting bow ever. Don’t ruin it by using feathers and a high weight, high foc arrow. A mid weight arrow with that bow, at your draw length will be a solid performer.

Rocky,
                      Please explain how shooting feathers ruins the bow. Even if you shoot aluminum inserts and a 100 grain heads shooting feathers will increase your FOC because they are lighter so again please explain how feathers are bad and ruin the bow.

Comment

The one main reason anyone would want to increase the FOC is K.E. I didn't see one mention of this on anyone's posts. Yes heavier FOC should increase a better arrow flight with optimum performance. There are just a lot of factors to take into consideration in determining the optimum performance of flight. D.W, D.L, FPS.
                        I'm new to archery, I've only been doing this for 56 years. There are those with the mindset (and I'm sure some of you think this way). the faster the arrow the less chance of missing the target due to not being able to judge distance correctly.
                        I've been shooting heavy for long before many of you were born, and the reason I started doing this long before we knew what FOC and K.E. was this; upon releasing the arrow all the energy of the bow goes into the arrow and within a nanosecond all that energy is transferred to the end of the shaft. A heaver broadhead will then pull the arrow rather than the arrow pushing the broadhead, resulting in optimum flight performance. Each piece of equipment we own will vary depending on it's specs. The only time I ever shot anything less than at least 200gn up front was in competition.
                        Some of you old timers might know me was The Rev from Hunting.net or Bjank from Archery Talk and Texas Hunting forum. My knife business keeps me very busy and I suffered a catastrophic car crash in 2011 (again of you old timers might remember that) or I would still be working events with Bowtech and shooting competition, I just had to chime in my 2 Cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                          Rocky,
                          Please explain how shooting feathers ruins the bow. Even if you shoot aluminum inserts and a 100 grain heads shooting feathers will increase your FOC because they are lighter so again please explain how feathers are bad and ruin the bow.

I won’t speak for him, but will offer my experience as it was geared for your exact situation

I was shooting 9.81% foc with blazers.... I wanted to try feathers for your exact reason!

The feathers alone increased 2% over blazers... and added 6fps!.... now I’m at just under 12%

..... and I can add the weight back up front with fact weights to get me back to even... and 14%!!!

These shot amazing with 1 1/4” 4 blade broadheads to 60 AMAZING!!!!..... for about a week. Then they started to lay down and deform by the day and accuracy plummeted!!!

In the end they were ZERO more accurate than my blazers, way more damage prone and was a neat concept that made me remember why the world quit using them other than a few due to novelty

I’m not in it for novelty, I want consistent results... they wasn’t worth the 4% TO ME

Comment

So its a durability issue with feathers for you and I understand that. if you don't have the time to replace them regularly I can see shooting plastic. that still doesn't explain the statement that shooting feathers ruins the bow.

Comment

Other than KE main thing I have been reading is about momentum which is different than KE. That's why FOC is important because it creates more momentum for penetration. At least in reading, I plan on testing it out myself

Comment

I can't reply with any scientific data, but I've shot bows for about 52 years now. I agree totally with high foc. I currently shoot a 50# recurve with a 30" Gt arrow with standard inserts and 4" feathers. My broadheads are 300 grain 2 blade Tuskers. Heavily loaded tips have been used by alot of traditional archers. My arrows fly slow, but fly straight and hit hard.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X