30-30 ammo does it really matter? On Gr and brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
    good point. Mine(Win and Marlin) like normal 30-30 ammo. Doesn't seem to show a whole lotta preference, at least with me and open sights.

Then I tried some of that whiz bang Hornady stuff. I shot good groups,but they were about 14" wide right.

I have a Henry, haven’t shot the Hornady yet but sounds like I better lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
      It does

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
      The ballistic values of the hornday 160 look good https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...erevolution#!/
      I assume a scope is required
      As a mod 94 30wcf is designed to shoot both 150 & 170 round or flat nose with open sites interchangeable
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-14-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
        The ballistic values of the hornday 160 look good https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...erevolution#!/
        I assume a scope is required
        As a mod 94 30wcf is designed to shoot both 150 & 170 round or flat nose with open sites interchangeable
        I have the cabelas lever action scope on my marlin. It's specifically calibrated for the 160gr leverevolution ammo. The calibration is spot on with mine.

They're reasonably priced and looks like it's on sale now. I've been shooting mine for well over 10 years and never an issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          I have a Henry, haven’t shot the Hornady yet but sounds like I better lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you're sighted in for it, it should be fine. Mine had a nice group, but it was a different critter than Corelokt or regular Winchester loads.

Comment

I reload a lot of my 30 30's. But I also buy factory ammo when I find it cheap. Brand is irrelevant to me. I buy whatever is available when I find it at a good price. Just like when I reload the cartridge. I buy whatever bullets are available. And I have use Hornady, Sierra, Remington and even PMC projectiles, both 150 and 170 grain.

Comment

I only shot 150grFN from my JM Marlin until the lever revolutions arrived. I tried them and never looked back. Groups are much better and the terminal performance is there.

Comment

Federal and PPU share the same style flat soft point bullet. I collect the Winchester silver tip ammo since it was discontinued. I picked up 400 rounds of Ted Nugent 30-30 with the Barnes solid copper hollow points from an individual early this year but have not tried them out yet.

Comment

My son's and my Marlin 336s love the 160 gr Leverevolution round. Makes good holes coming out on WT. Used it for a Axis Buck but it didn't exit. It was right under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Good stuff.

Comment

The .30-30 is one of those rounds where I don't think it matters what bullet you use.

I used to think the 170 grain was the only bullet that would kill but now i really don't think there is much difference between the 150 and the 170 grain in terms of knockdown.

I'm a 75 yards and under guy with a .30-30 no matter the loading

Comment

Dang Txgrown you think the book of faces would flag that photo?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        Dang Txgrown you think the book of faces would flag that photo?

It was totally self defense! I hate it when deer look at me . It's extremely intimidating to me! They look at me like I'm some kinda freak or something. I've got a ton of evidence from other deer that would testify, if they could still speak. Just pics to back some of it up. Cause I don't take pics of everthing. Just the unusual stuff.

Yo should see what a 12ga slug will do from one of my custom slug guns. I'm on-a "Save the meat!" mission!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          It was totally self defense! I hate it when deer look at me . It's extremely intimidating to me! They look at me like I'm some kinda freak or something. I've got a ton of evidence from other deer that would testify, if they could still speak. Just pics to back some of it up. Cause I don't take pics of everthing. Just the unusual stuff.

Yo should see what a 12ga slug will do from one of my custom slug guns. I'm on-a "Save the meat!" mission!
                          Canoe head!

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                            What rifle? Define hate por favor. Cycling or grouping?
                            JM stamped Marlin 336

Comment

3-5'' group at 100 yrds versus MOA with the 150 gr core lokts.

Comment

Wonder about these Hawk 190gr

introducing a truly Heavy 30-30 Winchester loading. This new load utilizes a 190gr. custom Hawk Bullet and gives the venerable 30-30 here-to-for unrealized power and is designed so that the person who owns a 30-30 can now reliably kill elk or moose sized game. The 30-30 can now be carried as a defensive tool in grizzly country and will be much more effective in stopping a grizzly attack than any other 30-30 ammunition in the world. This heavy 30-30 load is not designed for deer, although it will kill deer and if you line them up right, it will kill three or four deer with one shot……….

CUSTOM HAWK BULLET
                                The custom 190gr. Hawk Bullet is designed with a harder core and thicker than a normal jacket, so the expansion is minimal, thus ensuring very deep penetration which is needed to break large bones and destroy organs deep inside large game animals. This load generates an unreal 2100 fps from normal 20-inch carbines—this is the type of velocity that the ordinary 170gr. 30-30 loads generate, but again, we are using a 190gr. bullet.
                                Not for use on deer
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X