Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I mess up this arrow build, If so what should I try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I mess up this arrow build, If so what should I try?

About to pull the trigger on a Mathews V3-31. Draw length 28 and will be pulling about 65 lbs. My previous bow was a Triax and I was shooting Easton Hexx 330's cut to 27.25", which put me right around 420 grains. With the new bow, I am wanting to be 550+ grains and 16%+ FOC.

In preparation I built Easton Axis Match Grade 300 spine. Cut them to 26.75", installed Ethic Archery 100 grain half-outs and planned on shooting a 125 grain head. The added length of the insert brought me back to my normal arrow length. When I ran the numbers through Archers Advantage and OT2, it seemed to be a pretty good setup according the their charts. Not AA is showing them to bee too stiff. OT2 is showing to be on the stiff side of optimal. Did I mess up or should I try out the arrows before starting over?

I just got turned on to Ranch Fairy and thinking I may need to go to a 28" to 29" arrow (all measurements given thus far are shafts only). Running the numbers again on AA and OT2 in the Axis 300's at 28" with 225 grains up front would put me at about 560 grains and 17% FOC. Then I started looking at the Hexx's again.

AA and OT2 are all over the place with the spine and not sure if I should go 330's or 260's. I used 275 grains upfront for the Hexx's. The 330's show to be optimal in AA and weak on OT2. The 260's show to be stiff on AA and on the borderline stiff on OT2. Both put me at around 550 grains + and over 20% FOC, which I would like. If I were to go with the Hexx's should I start with the 260's and test them at different weights or stick with Axis in the 300's and test those out first. Personally, I prefer the 6mm shaft over the 5mm but really don't have a reason why.

Pictures attached of the results from both programs and sorry for being so long winded.
    Attached Files

Not too stiff. If you haven’t shot them yet then shoot them before you decide. Start at 13/16” center shot and if you have a bare shaft tear less than 1-2” horizontally you shouldn’t have any issues tuning it. I know RF tells everyone just shoot them into a target alongside fletched arrows, but shooting through paper tells the real story and can make tuning go by much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      Not too stiff. If you haven’t shot them yet then shoot them before you decide. Start at 13/16” center shot and if you have a bare shaft tear less than 1-2” horizontally you shouldn’t have any issues tuning it. I know RF tells everyone just shoot them into a target alongside fletched arrows, but shooting through paper tells the real story and can make tuning go by much quicker.

Thanks

Comment

Not sure if you can get too stiff

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Not sure if you can get too stiff
          I used to shoot 200 spine at 70lbs and 26.5”.

Two reasons you cannot shoot a over spine shaft. One is a bow that has bad nock travel. Even then you can tune it out. Just takes more work.

Second is the person. Some people just cannot shoot stiff arrows.

To the op. Don’t get to hung up on the ranch fairy. He tells you he has no clue how to tune a bow. I have no ideal how people take advise from a person on tuning that cannot tune. I’m sure he is getting their. Time will tell.

Comment

I've always wanted to build a heavy arrow with decent FOC and just came across the ranch fairy. I'm definitely going to tune my bow and play with these for a bit. I really liked my Easton Hexx's out of my Triax and will probably go back to those as my normal hunting arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
              I've always wanted to build a heavy arrow with decent FOC and just came across the ranch fairy. I'm definitely going to tune my bow and play with these for a bit. I really liked my Easton Hexx's out of my Triax and will probably go back to those as my normal hunting arrow.
              Are you going to tune your bow, or use the method the ranch fairy pushes where you change the tip weight?

The method he pushes has flaws. Read and learn them beforehand. That way you will understand what is going on.

Comment

Actually looking at spine charts now you could probably get away with a 250 spine considering the 100grain insert.

Comment

Working...
                X