Cooling the attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling the attic

Right now all I do is raise the garage door about 8” and pull my attic door down about a foot. My thinking is that maybe a slight updraft will be created and push heat out the ridge vents. Is this wrong thinking or is it just so hot the heat won’t escape fast enough?

Doing the same thing at my house testing out a few theories. Thinking of putting a vent in the attic door, some vents in the garage the would draw air from the eave vents or put a vent or 2 in the garage door and installing a fan in gable in the attic. Hopefully pull air through the garage and the attic.
    I am totally ignorant of any roofing or AC means/methods/knowledge so I would love to hear what anybody else with some experience has to throw in on this topic.

Last edited by DuramaxDude; 06-13-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Tagged. This has crossed my mind. I have thought of putting a couple exhaust fans in. 98 degree ambient air is still way cooler than the attic. Has to help with cooling costs.

Comment

I've got a big fan at the foot of my work bench that I point up the stairs when working in the attic. It sure feels like it makes a difference. Not sure if its significant, energy-wise.

Comment

I point a pedestal fan up at mine attic access in the garage. Don't know if it helps at all but to me it makes sense.

Comment

Attic is supposed to pull air from the soffit vents. An influx of air could throw the process out of whack or let hot air go down into the garage. What you will find in most new construction is they don’t insulate over the garage but if you do insulate it will stop some of the radiant heat from the attic making the garage hotter.

I haven’t done it yet but my friend put vents up high in his garage and vented the garage doors down low and the temp stayed pretty constant with outdoor temperatures.

Only way to really know is to measure the temperature
            Last edited by Voodoo; 06-13-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Right now all I do is raise the garage door about 8” and pull my attic door down about a foot. My thinking is that maybe a slight updraft will be created and push heat out the ridge vents. Is this wrong thinking or is it just so hot the heat won’t escape fast enough?
              Just like a bbq smoker. It works. But like a wofting smoker when the vent is opened too much comparative to the stack opening…the flow can go backwards or go neutral.

Im not a fan of the passive soffit air flow through the turleback vents. The turtleback vents always seem too low off the ridges and allow heat build up above. Ridge vents are marginally better for passive air flow.

I like to observe the attic ridge framing for resin extrusion from the pine. To me that is a big indicator of heat build up. Many track home attics turn into kilns….indicated by the cooking of the wood, darkening of the wood and sap extrusion.

Whirly vents give me a warm and fuzzy that heat is being actively pumped out of the attic. I always reuse them on a reroof.

MrVoodoo is right…the only way to know is to measure. I like a laser gun thermometer.

Good luck MrHogmauler.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-13-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Just like a bbq smoker. It works. But like a wofting smoker when the vent is opened too much comparative to the stack opening…the flow can go backwards or go neutral.

Im not a fan of the passive soffit air flow through the turleback vents. The turtleback vents always seem too low off the ridges and allow heat build up above. Ridge vents are marginally better for passive air flow.

I like to observe the attic ridge framing for resin extrusion from the pine. To me that is a big indicator of heat build up. Many track home attics turn into kilns….indicated by the cooking of the wood, darkening of the wood and sap extrusion.

Whirly vents give me a warm and fuzzy that heat is being actively pumped out of the attic. I always reuse them on a reroof.

MrVoodoo is right…the only way to know is to measure. I like a laser gun thermometer.

Good luck MrHogmauler.
                Wow! Very observant on your part and all good info. I’m going to buy two thermometers and place one in the attic and one in the garage. I think I’ve experienced what voodoo said. Where I walked out in the garage and had my breath taken away by a blast of what seemed to be equally hot air. The right side of my garage catches the west sun from 12:30 till the sun sets. It is brutal. I did actually tie a small piece of terlet paper up at the top of the ladder and it did flutter.

Comment

Tagged…

I am considering placing fans in my turtle vents up in the attic to help exhaust the hot air… additionally, I want to place a small exhaust fan in the garage to help push air out of the garage. Plan is to place vents in the soffit that go directly into the garage… I was wanting to do this with solar power but I will see how that goes…

I also believe running the fans all night will help cool the garage and attic down. Hopefully, It will keep temps down during the heat of the day.

Comment

Yes Perd on the above. But aren’t you defeating the purpose when you have use more electricity to cool the attic and garage.

Comment

I’m currently researching all the options too. Like others have said, your attic needs proper ventilation to help it cool down. Soffit vents and ridge vents are what you’ll usually see, if you don’t have enough ventilation it can create a moisture trap and cause mold.

On my house I’m going to put a radiant barrier on on the rafters of the attic, at two hybrid vent fans that will suck the hot air out as well as add about a foot more of blown on insulation. My electric bill was $440 last month and it wasn’t even hot yet

Comment

Consider...

A great plan does not use energy to save energy. Savings are easily negated.
                        Most of the errors I've observed with soffit and ridge venting is the soffit vents are
                        coated and covered-up with exterior paint overspray or mini paint roller application and/or the plywood isn't cut back correctly at the ridge vent. Both highly restrict ideal airflow.

Comment

We are currently building a barndo, and venting the attic is something I have been thinking about also. My thought was to put an exhaust fan up high in the attic, and pull the hot air out and push it into the garage. Then put an exhaust fan in the garage and push the hot air outside. Not sure how well this will work, or if it will have negative impacts on the house in some way or another, but the way its built it will not have any vents whatsoever in the attic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            Yes Perd on the above. But aren’t you defeating the purpose when you have use more electricity to cool the attic and garage.
                            Yes Sir that’s why I want to go solar… obviously, I will need some battery storage to run the fans at night…. not sure yet what set up I will use but I will try to take some pics when I do…

Comment

My house I owned back in the 80's I had installed 2 electric attic ventilators in the attic that worked with a thermostat. After that was installed we noticed an immediate difference in the attic heat and also the AC ran less. Need to consider this in my current home.

Comment

Working...
                              X