Stand-and-fill vs cattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand-and-fill vs cattle

Does anyone have experience using the stand-and-fill type feeders in areas with cattle? I have had some guys tell me that the cows don’t really mess with them but I have a hard time seeing that.

We have a fair amount of cattle on our lease and they have been known to occasionally tear some of our feeders up. We do have feed pens on some but not all of our feeders. Most feeders (without pens) we have anchored to the ground good enough that once the cows figure out that they cannot get corn from it, they simply do not mess with them at all.

I recently purchased a few of the Buccees Stand-and-Fill’s and just wanted to gather some info before I put them out. I would prefer not to put feed pens around them but if this is necessary to prevent them from being ruined, than I will.

Generally speaking.....If you don't have cows, you've probably got hogs.
    Want to protect it? Use a pen. If your feed pen isn't doing its job, you need a better built pen.

Comment

It depends on the cattle. We have some unprotected feeders that the cattle leave alone. I also have one of the double seat stands from Academy that the bull has adopted as a rubbing post and it is now nearly trashed.

Comment

I have several stand and fills without pens. We have an azz load of cows. Never have had a cow mess with them.

Comment

I have two that aren’t penned. Cows have never messed with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never seem cows mess with mine nor any evidence that they have.

Comment

You just have to worry about them rubbing on it.

Comment

I have the EZ feeders and cows are not a problem. You don’t have to worry about it.

Comment

Only thing cows messed with at my S&F was my trail camera. They’d turn that sucker every time it seemed like. Eventually built a pen around it due to pigs.

Comment

Only thing cows messed with at my S&F was my trail camera. They’d turn that sucker every time it seemed like. Eventually built a pen around it due to pigs.

Comment

Almost every feeder we have is a stand and fill. We have a gigantic covey of cows running around and they don't mess with them, outside of some snot marks on the sides.

Comment

Don’t know about cows, but all seasons 600# stand and fills are no match for aoudad!!!! I wish I had taken some pics to post! I have 3 in the shop now that they dang near destroyed!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have three with cows and pigs no issues on my local pig place.

Now my coverts they like to nose and move around, but my feeders, no.

Comment

Will agree with everyone else on here. Have 2 stand and fill feeders around cows and pigs. Was having hell keeping one up, went to SAF and they have been up for going on a couple years now for one and 8 months on the other with no issues. But like mentioned above the cameras have some kind of pig and cow magnet on them, they can't help but mess with them.

Comment

I've had zero issues with cows knocking mine over. Now, they will rub on it, but they've never knocked one over whether it was full or empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X