Arrowhead ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    Found this today in the same spot. Any ideas?
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INKyafZCR5A"]Opening Klerksdorp spheres and Moqui marbles - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

It's a hematite net weight. Cool find.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
        My granddaughter found this when we’re camping. There’s gravel all around the campsite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I suspect someone planted that one. I wouldnt mention that to her though.
        Last edited by GarGuy; 05-13-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          It's a hematite net weight. Cool find.
          Thanks Steve!

Would it be worth digging this area you think? Nothing major just hand dig and see what is here?

Comment

The ball is a concretion. I have a bucketful of them. Google it and you will see photo's of them. I found them at an indian site. There were so many it was like someone dumped a truck load of marbles on the side of the hill. But the area is just where they were formed.
            Last edited by Jon Stewart; 05-14-2021, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
              The ball is a concretion. I have a bucketful of them. Google it and you will see photo's of them. I found them at an indian site. There were so many it was like someone dumped a truck load of marbles on the side of the hill. But the area is just where they were formed.
              I agree naturally formed but that one sure looks like it has a string groove scratched around it to me. Always respect your opinion though.

Comment

I may have missed it. Does it say how they are made?

Comment

I took photo's but don't know how to post them from my tablet. I have many that look just like the one posted with that groove around it and some broken in half. I think they form in a sandstone type material and break out. When we stumbled on to the site that has them I asked my buddy if there had been some sort of an iron factory there. I have them from the size of a pea to larger than a golf ball. My buddy found one the size of an orange and it is perfectly round.

Google Moqui Marbles and you will see examples of what has been posted with that groove around it.
                  Last edited by Jon Stewart; 05-14-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

My property has them all over. Initially was hoping they were from a meteorite. After a heavy rain they’re easy to find.

Comment

Here are a few. They are all round but don't look like it. The one is sitting on a rock the a concretion popped out of.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Jon Stewart; 05-14-2021, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Awesome...they made great fishing weights!

Comment

Looks like iron nodules that have been rounded by erosion (stream, river etc). Could also have been used by paleoindians for weights or game pieces. Very cool finds.

Comment

Working...
                          X