My Big Aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Big Aoudad

I was probably 12 years old when I saw my first Aoudad mount. It was a mount where the front half of the ram was mounted walking down some rocks. I thought it was the coolest mount ever! From that point on, I wanted to shoot a big, free range aoudad.
    Fast forward several decades to this summer when a buddy of mine text me about an opening on his lease. Truthfully, I had no interest due to my chaotic work life and property that I already hunt. I just knew I’d never have time to go. He absolutely wouldn’t take no as an answer. Once I’d seen the pictures and video of this place, I just couldn’t say no lol! Among the pictures he sent me, were pics of some awesome aoudad. That sealed the deal for me. Since the ranch was 45 minutes from my house, this was pretty much a no brainer, my wife agreed!

As I have come to learn, the aoudad start rutting in September/October. We had a few pics of some decent rams on camera but nothing that got me excited. I had a picture in my mind of a type of ram I wanted to hunt and I knew I’d know it when I saw it. Well, it didn’t take long for a big guy to trip my trigger.
    When this guy came in, I knew the chase was on! I was able to distinguish him from some other rams by two white ivory rubs on his right horn.

I got a picture of him at 1 feeder and knew I needed to get out there quickly since he was with a group of ewes. That evening I was tucked in the bow blind with my daughter just knowing this was gonna be a slam dunk. We got skunked. We were back in the blind early the next morning….skunked again. Dang….I was now learning about the nomadic nature of these critters. The following week, I got another picture of him on Saturday at a different feeder 1.5 miles away from where I was originally hunting him. Mid day found me back at the lease spreading corn and minerals around the feeder he was at that morning. Interestingly, we only were getting am pics of the sheep, so I decided to wait until morning to give it another try.

The next morning found me tucked under a cedar tree at the top of the mountain where these sheep seemed to hang out. I had no longer text my wife that I was safe when I heard rocks and hooves clacking down the slope…..I couldn’t believe it, there he was! The lead sheep! A quick check of his right horn revealed the 2 ivory white spots. I was on the shooting sticks and ready! Small problem, he was with about 30 other sheep and gave me absolutely no shot whatsoever. So I waited, and waited and waited some more. Finally, some more sheep showed up including a ewe in heat! He went absolutely nuts when she came in, lip curling, running around trying to mount her and posturing towards the other rams. Finally, he turned broadside where I had a small window between two other sheep in front of him. A shot in the center of the shoulder dropped him in his tracks! I couldn’t believe it!

When I got up on him, I couldn’t believe the sheer size of these animals. They are absolutely huge! I struggled to lift his head. It was awesome. I took a few pics and realized I had absolutely no idea how I was gonna get this beast down the mountain by myself. Fortunately, my buddy was able to make his way out to the lease to help me get him down and take some good pics. Still in awe over this magnificent animal. I’m so thankful to have such good friends and a supportive family.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LHPanther; 09-22-2022, 09:09 PM.

Awesome!

Comment

Now that’sa goodun!

Comment

That’s a toad of a sheep!!

Comment

Stud! Congratulation and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Absolute monster! Congrats!

Comment

Absolute hammer! Congrats man!

Comment

Cool critter!!!!

Congrats!

How long are his horns???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hot **** that’s a stud! Congrats!

Comment

Banger! Can’t wait to see that mount.

Comment

congrats on the big Dad. How long/thick were his horns?

Comment

Man he is a stud.. Congrats on a beautiful trophy!!!

Comment

Congrats on taking an amazing animal!!!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats on a huge ram!

Comment

Great ram! Congrats! In for horn length as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X