Hog Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClain View Post
    The common off-taste from boars is recognized by the meat industry as boar taint and is caused by biochemical compounds produced by the animal and is embedded in the meat. While it may be possible to mask the offensive taste to some degree with seasoning and cooking methods, there is really no way to get rid of it. The good news is that about 25-30% of the population is not sensitive to this offensive taste/smell. Therefore while some people may not be offended by it, others are. That is why some folks tolerate it and others can’t.

A different kind of offensive taste can be found in pigs, especially wild pigs, and that is caused by stressed. Pigs highly stressed at the time of slaughter, regardless of size, age, sex can exhibit an offense taste. This can sometimes be observed in other game animals as well.
    People are usually high tasters or low tasters determined by some taste bud locations.

To determine this take a pack of sweet & low (pink package) and if it taste sweet then you are a low taster, if it taste maybe sweet at first but bitter-ish with an after taste, you are a high taster.

Low tasters could eat crap on a shingle because they can’t differentiate. Its both a curse and a Blessing for the high taster.

High tasters generally have a similar smelling pattern and are sensitive to smells.

Additionally for some reason they usually have extraordinary hearing too.

Low sense people really have no understanding of it either.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 11-27-2022, 10:26 PM.

Comment

whole shoulder into roast like beef roast

Comment

Gonna stink

Comment

I have eaten boars and large ones but they didnt smell when I cleaned them. If I walk up on one and I can smell it I leave it lay. There is no binary way to say all boars are not good to eat. Some are and some are not. If they smell bad laying at your feet then move on and kill another one.
          Enjoy

Comment

If they don't smell when you walk up to them, they will be ok to eat. You will know before you reach him.

Comment

Its a little trouble but...Hang give bath with soap and water and tire brush,,,Start to skin, once ya get area on leg cut a slice a piece of meat..fry and taste /eat...if its good/its good...if its funky tasting...to Dump.......of course cut a slit in back hide and get a piece of loin for test....

Comment

Cut out the loins and cook in slow cooker with bbq and make sandwiches and tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by papabear33 View Post
                  If they don't smell when you walk up to them, they will be ok to eat. You will know before you reach him.
                  this

then get the animal quartered and cooled down asap. if warm outside,debone it.
                  hogs have massive bones compared to a deer and hold tons of heat. if not properly cooled meat around the bone will sour,even packed in ice. i put the quarters in a cooler with the lid cracked open,then leave a water hose running in it to speed up the cool down. then let it drain and fill with ice. leave iced for 3 days with drain plug open

Comment

Originally posted by papabear33 View Post
                    This has not been my experience. A large boar with virtually no smell on the hoof has provided an unpleasant order when meat hits a hot skillet on a number of occasions - even when killed/dressed/fried within an hours time.

Comment

I’m willing to bet that most people who don’t like eating boar hogs are the ones who use the same knife to skin/gut as is to quarter. I wash/hose off the pig no matter what sex it is just to get the **** off of it. I have sold wild hogs to processors that used them for processing peoples animals, cattle and deer.

Comment

Working...
                      X