Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.
Default 300wby?

Who has one? Pros and cons? Found a couple recently that Iím considering but no experience with it. I reload so thatís not an issue. Is it worth it over the 300wm that everyone makes?
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

A Weatherby Mark V can be very nice, and valuable. As for the power, they are a step up from a 300 Win. Mag., but with a 24" or 26" barrel, you will not see a lot of difference between the Win. Mag. and the Weatherby Mag. The Weatherby should have a 28" barrel or longer, to come close to burning all that powder in that case. I have one, but the barrel is going to get replaced with a 30" barrel to take advantage of the large volume of power in that case.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

I have one, a 30yr old Mark V. It shoots incredibly well with Weatherby 180gr spire points. 3250fps is zipping for that weight bullet. Way way overkill for Texas deer, but I would use it just for its accuracy if I was on a hunt that might offer a longer shot.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
softpoint
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Short answer, No. Nothing wrong with the caliber, but I'd take a .300 Win. Mag, or a .300WSM over the Weatherby in comparable rifles.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Great calibers!

Iíve had 2 Weatherby mags & theyíre killing machines, killed an Alaskan black bear with one & cow elk with the other...ammo is much more expensive but sold both to fund other guns.

Currently have a 300 WM & took a big mule deer with it last fall. Easier to find ammo & different types of bullet styles.

IMO I feel they are almost the same gun in the field & on paper. I wouldnít hesitate to own either but in my experience going forward, Iím sticking to my current 300 WM
Good luck
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
Lostacresranch
Eight Point

I have 2, one a mk5, the other a custom Remington. If you want a .30 cal monster killer, itís your best choice. I love mine, and wouldnít hesitate to go up against any big game animal on this continent. Or a couple of continents.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
ba1005
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

My dad has had one for 20 years and liked it so much for mule deer he kept using it in south texas. It’s a hammer on whitetail. I liked his so much I got a mark v myself. Everything I shoot with it doesn’t take a step. All but one of my shoulder mounts was shot with it.
ba1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
ba1005
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I also got some brass that’s factory and used once OP if you decide to get it.
ba1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Love my new one. Recoil isnít as bad as I expected. Be ready for sticker shock when you price premium ammo.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #10
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I have a Sako L691 in 300 Wby. Very accurate and deadly. My only con is that as I get older I notice recoil more. After six or seven shots I'm done. PAST shield helps.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

One of the best guns I ever owned was a 300wby markV. I sold it because of ammo cost. After Remington stopped making ammo for it I was done. I’m not paying 75 to 120 dollars for 20 rounds. Other than that it’s a beast ! Shoot 180gr NP and you can kill anything in north american and never worry if you brought enough gun.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #13
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

"Go big or go home!" I have an uncle who absolutely swears by this round and that's his motto. It is a beast of a round.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #14
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

I have a Mark V Lazermark, hands down the best shooting gun I ever owned. I’ve killed everything from elk to turkeys with it, it’s my go to. 30+ years old and with the ammo I have, it will outlast me.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #15
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Thanks all. The two I’m looking at right now are both Mark Vs. one is an ultralight and one is a wood stock. Both have brakes. Not worried about cost of ammo, anything weatherby is going to be expensive but reloading helps that. Sounds like is a good choice in the 180-200gr. I was looking at it for 180 accubonds for elk next year. I don’t have a 30 and as much as I was wanting to take my 6.5 or soon to be finished 280ai, feel like a collection isn’t complete without a big .30 cal
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #16
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Thanks all. The two Iím looking at right now are both Mark Vs. one is an ultralight and one is a wood stock. Both have brakes. Not worried about cost of ammo, anything weatherby is going to be expensive but reloading helps that. Sounds like is a good choice in the 180-200gr. I was looking at it for 180 accubonds for elk next year. I donít have a 30 and as much as I was wanting to take my 6.5 or soon to be finished 280ai, feel like a collection isnít complete without a big .30 cal

If you go with the ultralight, give it more time to cool between rounds when shooting for groups. Iíve had ULís in 300 and 257 in the past and that third shot would always sail off a bit if I didnít let the rifle cool. No biggie for hunting but definitely a factor for dialing in loads or shooting for accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #17
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I have a Mark V in 300 WBY and I will never sell it. Absolutely love everything about it minus when it is time to go buy ammo.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 01:27 PM   #18
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

I got one. It kills stuff.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
geezer56
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgia

I had one. It almost killed me. It's name was Tyson. Beat me up worse than the Rigby or 375 H&H.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top