Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #601
roadscholar
Spike

Well I got lazy and decided I didn't want to mess with getting the boat out. Went to a spot where I've done well in the past on stripers and sand bass from the bank. Didn't get a bite.
Was wishing I had taken the boat out

Monday is looking like a possibility if the forecast holds, winds 5-10mph out of the SSE.
roadscholar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #602
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Looks like with the recent rains, Grandbury has one of the larger gates open. Flow is at 1,782 fps.

Whitney has come up a little to 2.53 feet below normal.

A lake is .72 feet below normal.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #603
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Grandbury still releasing at 1,782 cfs.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #604
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Grandbury gate is closed again.

W lake is 2.41 feet below normal.

A lake is .75 feet below normal.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #605
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Grandbury has one of the slushie gates open. Flowrate is 460 cfs. That's perfect for m type of fishing!

River surges from the Grandbury gate releasing of 1,782 cfs is finally reaching the W lake.

W lake is now 2.28 feet below normal.

A lake is .73 feet below normal.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:22 PM   #606
roadscholar
Spike

Almost no wind yesterday, so I got the boat out for a few hours.
Been reading about using chicken breast soaked in jello powder for catfish bait, and couldn't resist giving it a try.

Got out around 1pm and threw out 4 jugs in 6-9 ft of water, each with two hooks baited with the bright red chicken.

Didn't take but about 10 min before I saw one of the jugs moving (actually I make them out of pool noodles). Went over to it and had a channel cat about 4 lbs or so on it. Ended up with 4 channels between 2-4 lbs, 3 on the jugs and one on rod & reel. So it seems the chicken works pretty good.

Caught 5 throwback stripers, all right around 17". Caught those throwing a kastmaster spoon. Also caught one 13" sand bass trolling a ratl-trap.

Water temp was 64 when I started, and 67 when I knocked off around 5:30.
Forecast shows highs in the 80s from this weekend on, so the shad spawn should kick off before too long and the sand bass will be stacked up in shallow water.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #607
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good report roadscholar.

Grandbury shut the slushie gate down. Back to the norm of nothing.

W lake still has a little rise. Currently, 2.32 feet below normal.

A lake is .77 feet below normal.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #608
jnd1959
Ten Point

Got the battery charger for the bass boat. Now just need to change out a gimpy transducer and I'll be ready to go. I'm gonna pull out the fly rod this year when the stripers start hitting top water. Still got a bunch of flys I need broken off.

Get my replica of the striper I caught two years ago back in a couple weeks or so. 36 inches and almost 18 lbs. I let her go so she could make more (Texoma). Not a huge one by historical Texoma standards but a best for me.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #609
roadscholar
Spike

Got the boat out for a few hours yesterday. That cold snap, with lows in the 30s at night, definitely had an effect.
Launched at the state park around noon. Water temp was 61. Tried to go out to the main lake but it was pretty windy, so I went back into the Frazier creek cove and stayed.
Caught 3 stripers around 16-17" on a 1/4 oz chartreuse curly tail jig.

Put out 6 jugs baited with chicken breast and cut shad. Only caught one, an eater-size blue cat, which I released.

Pretty slow outing. I did see two pairs of mallards land about 100 yards from me
Old 04-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #610
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Thanks for the report roadscholar.

Grandbury has a slushie gate open again at 460 cfs. Prefect for my like-n in the river. Blues and channels should be staging and getting ready to make it happen on the flats and in the shallows.

W lake is 2.35 feet below normal.

A lake is .79 feet below normal.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #611
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Slushie gate still open. And the W lake is slowly coming up.

W lake is 2.24 feet below normal

A lake is .71 feet below normal
Old 04-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #612
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Grandbury slushie gate still running at 460 cfs. Grandbury is .02 feet below normal.

W lake is 2.25 feet below normal. I wonder how that is? 25 cfs release from W lake is just some gates that leak. And no other water is being let out. W lake has been on the rise since Grandbury opened the slushie gate. Not enough evaporation to justify the lake not rising. The water that Grandbury has been letting out has to be going somewhere for the last 24 hours. This is suspicious data.

Edit: Unless this is the lag when they shut the slushie gate off on April 21? If so, then the slow water rise should continue very soon.

A lake is .71 feet below normal.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-25-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #613
roadscholar
Spike

You're right TG, I just checked the Corps website, and it's still showing Granbury releasing 460, but the W lake isn't coming up at all. Kinda strange.

Got out for a few hours yesterday. Was pretty breezy. Put 6 jugs out and caught 5 eater-size blues. Caught 3 throwback stripers on rod & reel.

Water temp on the main lake was around 64 mid-afternoon, but was 69-70 up in shallow water in a cove.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #614
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

https://brazos.org/About-Us/News/Cur...ArticleID/2064

Copied from the BRA news web sight:

The BRA opened one gate at Possum Kingdom Lake today, April 29

04/29/2021 | Return
The Brazos River Authority opened one gate at Possum Kingdom Lake's Morris Sheppard Dam at about 3 p.m. today, Thursday, April 29 for a total release of 9,000 cubic feet per second.
Be advised river levels will rise quickly. Recreation on the Brazos River is discouraged during gate releases.
Keep up with streamflow, reservoir levels and rainfall totals at BrazosBasinNOW.
For additional information regarding this release see the BRA's Facebook or Twitter pages, email information@brazos.org or call 888-922-6272.
To sign up for the BRA's downstream notification, go here. The BRA offers a way to receive notifications of gate changes at each of its three reservoirs: Possum Kingdom Lake, Lake Granbury and Lake Limestone. Notifications can be via text, email, and/or phone call. The alerts – which have been in place since before Lake Limestone’s creation - are not meant to serve as a flood warning system and it remains every person’s responsibility to monitor local news outlets, National Weather Service broadcasts, and other information to remain fully aware of potentially hazardous conditions. Texas’ weather can change in an instant and it's vital everyone is prepared when enjoying our waterway.

__________________________________________________ _
Old 04-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #615
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

As of this moment, ACE is showing the PK release at 2808 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 3543 cfs.

I'm beginning to think ACE is trying to throw me off and make me look bad.

The W lake has come up a little over .50 feet in the last 24 hours. I soon expect more. And possibly reaching 4 feet or more above normal, pending how long PK keeps it's gate open. Course if PK opens, Grandbury has to open to keep from flooding.

A lake is doing pretty good. It stands at .59 feet below normal. So it has gained a little water. And will prob come up just a bit more.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-29-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #616
roadscholar
Spike

PK and Granbury both releasing around 9k now. And it looks like more rain today and tomorrow too, so W is definitely filling up
Old 04-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #617
roadscholar
Spike

Wow, Granbury just increased their release to 14k.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #618
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
Wow, Granbury just increased their release to 14k.
Yep. Narrow flood plain. They always have to release more than PK to keep from flooding.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 04-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #619
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK releasing 8,842 cfs at the moment. Grandbury is releasing 14,139 cfs at the moment.

W lake currently sits at 1.44 feet below normal. It has come up .28 feet in the last 24 hours to date. Normal release, or I should say leakage, of 25 cfs remains. I expect it should really start to rise tomorrow, maybe late. At least by Sunday. The river will have a higher rise than the main lake. And at a faster rate being it is narrower than the main lake. If you are boating, beware of debris in the river. And in the main lake. There may and most likely will be log jams, or a flow of log jams, in the river.

A lake has come up also. It sits at .17 feet above normal. Nothing being released. Should be good blue catfishing!

Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-30-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #620
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
PK releasing 8,842 cfs at the moment. Grandbury is releasing 14,139 cfs at the moment.

W lake currently sits at 1.44 feet below normal. It has come up .28 feet in the last 24 hours to date. Normal release, or I should say leakage, of 25 cfs remains. I expect it should really start to rise tomorrow, maybe late. At least by Sunday. The river will have a higher rise than the main lake. And at a faster rate being it is narrower than the main lake. If you are boating, beware of debris in the river. And in the main lake. There may and most likely will be log jams, or a flow of log jams, in the river.

The lake/River is trashed today. Had to idle through a couple spots due to all the debris. Water is rising fast too. Almost had to take my shoes off on the dock when I got back in, probably went up an inch or two in the few hours I was out.
I sure hope it doesn’t get much worse and cause ramp closures.
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #621
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Seems that the ACE district sight is having trouble with it's live update on data for the W lake. It has not changed in the last 48 hours.

But.... I have found some data to indicate that the W lake is .54 feet above normal as of 8:15 this morning.

A lake data has not changed either on the District website. Again, I found data from a different web sight to indicate it is .59 feet above normal as of 8:30 this morning.

This is really strange. Because the data for both Grandbury and PK has been updated on the district web sight. I've been watching the fluctuations in lake levels on both of those lakes due to the gate releases (outgoing) and incoming flows.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #622
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Just by looking at it when I launched this morning, I would guess it went up 4-6” overnight. Only got a small drum this morning, moving now to see if I can find fish elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #623
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Finally! ACE updated the data.

PK is releasing about the same: 8842 cfs

Grandbury as increased it's release rate to 15,569 cfs.

W lake has risen 1.35 feet in the last 24 hours. And sits at 1.08 feet above normal.

A lake has risen .22 feet in the last 24 hours. And currently sits at .69 feet above normal.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #624
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Probably delayed the data update trying to keep all the walkways from going underwater. They came and adjusted them at least twice today. The crappie bite was tough, scattered and roaming. If anyone wants to bowfish, now is the time. Gar, carp and buffalo everywhere in the shallows. Saw some monsters the last couple days.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #625
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has cut it's water release back to 683 cfs. Grandbury has followed suit to cut it's water release back to 7,196 cfs.

W lake is 2.04 feet above normal. And with the water releases from the above lakes, will continue to rise at present.

A lake is .75 feet above normal. Yall should go get after them blues and channels right now on this lake!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #626
roadscholar
Spike

Tons of water headed into W now. I got a text alert on my phone this morning that the Nolan at Blum was flowing at 7,370 cfs.
Hope we don't end up with ramps closed, but I'm afraid that's where it's headed.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #627
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Hope all of you made it thru yesterday's weather with no problems.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #628
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK still releasing 683 cfs. Grandbury has reduced it's outflow to 2653 cfs.

W lake has begun releasing some water at 4433 cfs. And sits at 2.78 feet above normal. With the water release, now would be a good time to go below the dam and fish the catwalk on the office side. Cats will be prowling for shad in there.

A lake sits at 1.13 feet above normal. It has come up .39 feet in the last 24 hours to date. And is releasing 158 cfs.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-04-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #629
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

All good here Storm. Back yard is a little flooded again. Hope yall are doing alright.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #630
roadscholar
Spike

Not too windy today, so I think I'll get the boat out. Should be plenty of shad up in the newly-flooded vegetation.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #631
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
Not too windy today, so I think I'll get the boat out. Should be plenty of shad up in the newly-flooded vegetation.

Let us know how you do.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #632
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK continues it's release at 654 cfs. That's 1 cfs fast than yesterday at this time.
Grandbury has dropped it's release rate to 2,218. Not much from yesterday. But it is some.

W lake has come up a bit more and currently sits at 2.91 feet above normal. It is continuing to release 4,433 cfs.

A lake has come up slightly also. And currently sits at 1.39 feet above normal. It has increased it's release rate by 1 cfs also.

And I'm hold-n back as much water as I can in my backyard, to keep from flooding the W lake.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #633
roadscholar
Spike

Started fishing around noon yesterday, lower end of the lake.
Put out 5 jugs, and in a couple of hours only caught 1 eater-size blue cat.

Moved up into a cove and caught two keeper stripers around 4pm, 25" and 23". One was on a 3" chartreuse curly-tail jig, one on topwater with a zara spook.
About 4' of water, near flooded trees.

Caught 5 throwback stripers around 16-17" on the zara spook too. So they're definitely up in the shallows looking for spawning shad. Thinking about going at the crack of dawn tomorrow. If they're hitting topwater in late-afternoon, I reckon the first hour of daylight would be great.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #634
roadscholar
Spike

Water temp was 67-68 on the main lake, 70-71 up in the shallows.
Clarity was good.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #635
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is now releasing 684 cfs. Grandbury has cut it's release back to 898 cfs.

W lake is still releasing 4433 cfs. And sits at 2.77 feet above normal.

A lake is sitting at 1.35 feet above normal. And releasing 159 cfs.

24 hour change data on the district web page is not functioning at this moment.

I just might grab a hand full of rods and go sit on some freshly flooded grassy banks tomorrow evening. And see if I can catch some catfish. Or might go Saturday evening.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #636
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK releasing 684 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 899 cfs.

W lake has dropped slightly to 2.58 feet above normal. It continues to release at 4,453 cfs.

A lake sits at 1.30 feet above normal. And is releasing 159 cfs.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #637
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

W lake dropped to 2.38 feet above normal as of this time this morning. Pretty quick for less than 24 hours.

A lake at 1.25 feet above normal.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #638
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there.

PK still releasing at 684 cfs. Grandbury still at 899 cfs.

W lake has dropped a little bit more to 2.04 feet above normal. It is still releasing 4,433 cfs.

A lake is down to 1.16 feet above normal. And releasing 158 cfs.

If you've never fished the cat-walk below the dam on the A lake, it's a good time to do so. There are parking places near the outlet to park. Float a jig or minnow under a bobber. And let the current push it around. You just might be surprised at what happen.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #639
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has cut it's release back to 432 cfs. But, Grandbury has increased it's release to 1,339 cfs.

W lake sits at 1.76 feet above normal. And is still releasing 4,433 cfs.

A lake sits at 1.12 feet above normal. And still releasing 158 cfs.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #640
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Just an update before the rains come.

PK is releasing 324 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 899 cfs.

The W lake has dropped to .84 feet above normal. And is releasing 4,427 cfs.

A lake sits at .95 feet above normal. And is releasing 158 cfs.

Wonder how much rain we will get in the upper Brazos basin.