mil-moa guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mil-moa guys

had a leupold mark4 some time back ... had a mil reticle but moa turrets ...

i could never figure out how to calculate that .25vs .36 ...

any of you guys can shed some light on how to use a mil dot with moa turrets ?

i went mil mil on everything but 1 scope i have left ....

is there a trick to it ?

Originally posted by imyomama View Post

is there a trick to it ?

I didn’t even knew that existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah. Best thing I figured out was to sell it

It drove me crazy!

Comment

That sounds more like a screw up than something intended

trophy8 has the same opinion I would

Get rid of it

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Yeah. Best thing I figured out was to sell it
          It drove me crazy!
          X2 yes, bought MOA/MOA

Comment

I still have several mark 4s that I use with no problem. I don’t convert anything on the fly. I develop a drop chart with MOA elevation and mil wind holds which is laminated and taped to my buttstock. So I simply dial elevation based on yardage and hold for wind, all based on my drop chart. So not hard to use without calculating anything once you have this setup properly.

Comment

You can convert I’m sure with a calculator Faster. But I’d just sell it and get one that matches. Will keep you from going insane

Comment

my mk4 was fantastic optic , but i called leupold for 2 years asking if i could send it in to get mil turrets put in , then they came up with the mil version, asked again , and again i was told not yet ... gave up and sold it ... i personally could not get used to it . i use a leupold spotting scope that has a ffp mil dot reticle so i can really tell based on poi.. the correction... say i'm 2 mil low ... k.. dial in 2 mils ... but if you have moa turrets .. that's 7.2 moa's if my calculations are correct ... now make it 2.6 mils ... and i just pack my **** and go home .. i give up ! I really like the mil dot concept and reticle though ... i never thought i could ever make first round hit at 700 yards and shoot decent groups at long"er" range... yeah i know some of you rambo's on this site have already scolded me for saying 700 is long range ... ok.. medium, don't get your panties in a wad again please! anyhow.. seems like from the replies most people do agree ... and don't get me wrong , i've used both, and dope charts are dope charts and they will get you there .. it's the corrections that frustrated me ...i shot decent with both systems...

mil-mil
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPzh6HescI&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnablo"]Ruger Precision rifle shooting to 700 yards - YouTube[/ame]

mil-moa
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9G2VKW7gM4&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]630 yard savage BAS-K 308 on windy day shooting steel - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Dial in MOA and hold in mil. It’s simple, not to be rude. It’s all depends on the situation. Both are accurate. MOA is for exact shooting and MIL is for quick hits on multiple targets. MIL takes takes less time. MIL is more for military or moving targets. I have shot both. MIL takes more time and rounds to get comfortable. Try the shooter app. I know how to use MIL/MOA but it made a more sense when I took a class with the Sheriff of Bagdad. It is older technology.
                  Today and the last couple of years long ranger shooter use Horus.

Comment

Long range not ranger..

Comment

my mk4 was fantastic optic , but i called leupold for 2 years asking if i could send it in to get mil turrets put in , then they came up with the mil version, asked again , and again i was told not yet ... gave up and sold it ... i personally could not get used to it . i use a leupold spotting scope that has a ffp mil dot reticle so i can really tell based on poi.. the correction... say i'm 2 mil low ... k.. dial in 2 mils ... but if you have moa turrets .. that's 7.2 moa's if my calculations are correct ... now make it 2.6 mils ... and i just pack my **** and go home .. i give up ! I really like the mil dot concept and reticle though ... i never thought i could ever make first round hit at 700 yards and shoot decent groups at long"er" range... yeah i know some of you rambo's on this site have already scolded me for saying 700 is long range ... ok.. medium, don't get your panties in a wad again please! anyhow.. seems like from the replies most people do agree ... and don't get me wrong , i've used both, and dope charts are dope charts and they will get you there .. it's the corrections that frustrated me ...i shot decent with both systems...

mil-mil
                      Ruger Precision rifle shooting to 700 yards - YouTube

mil-moa
                      630 yard savage BAS-K 308 on windy day shooting steel - YouTube
                      Yes! I watch impact for correction in a mil reticle. Then turn an moa turret? Hard pass lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Randell View Post
                        It’s simple, not to be rude. It’s all depends on the situation. Both are accurate. MOA is for exact shooting a.
                        ok great ! feedback from someone trained!

what's your method of conversion ?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Yes! I watch impact for correction in a mil reticle. Then turn an moa turret? Hard pass lol.
                          right ... well old scopes were like that ... there must be a trick! friend of mine shoot with me sometimes he has moa turrets , i'm just incapable of giving him exact corrections for that reason ..

add 15%?

Comment

looks like the quick math would be x 1.372..

Comment

is there a trick to it ?

Yeah, I’ve read the comments below, most of them are right. But you asked for the trick...
                              1 mil is equal to 3.44 something or other.
                              Use “shooter math” and round up to 3.5
                              2 miles low? Dial 7moa.
                              Since this is a hunting forum. I would use a dope card that’s been checked for atmospherics with something like a kestrel to be as precise as possible.
                              For fast follow ups, just use hold overs.
                              Mil/MOA scopes are a PITA but it’s knowledge for the tool box.
                              When I went to sniper school we were still using M24s with fixed 10x Leupolds with mil dot reticlds and 1/2 moa turrets. Everything was easy after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X