Oil changes and dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil changes and dealerships

What is the advantage/disadvantage of using the dealership for an oil change? I've always owned American made cars and do my own changes. My wife bought a Range Rover and they want $399 for an oil change. I called the import car place here in town and they will do it for $199. She just went by Kwik Kar and they can do it for $79. This is all using Liqui Moly oil. What's the difference besides the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s not staffed with a bunch of kids I would not have a problem taking it to a quick lube. Oh, there’s not a difference.

Comment

As someone who's son has come up thru the ranks of doing oil changes at the dealership and heard all of the horror stories.... I would do my own.

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
        What is the advantage/disadvantage of using the dealership for an oil change? I've always owned American made cars and do my own changes. My wife bought a Range Rover and they want $399 for an oil change. I called the import car place here in town and they will do it for $199. She just went by Kwik Kar and they can do it for $79. This is all using Liqui Moly oil. What's the difference besides the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At times it can be a Warranty down road issue..if its not a warranty issue should be No problem with after market oil& filter as long as it meets there specs and i properly documented

This is just off top of my head ...I aint LAWYER

Comment

My dealership does $8 oil changes. I'm not messing with it.

DJ

Comment

Yea I usually take it to the dealership while the vehicle is still under bumper to bumper warranty. After that, I do my own.

Every time I do take it to the dealership, I do mark on the filter with a sharpie. Before I drive off from the dealership, I check the oil to make sure it is clean, and check the filter to make sure there is a new one there.

Comment

I’d never pay a dealer but when I bought my used truck the car fax showed every oil change and other time a dealer touched it…..that was nice info.

Comment

For a Range Rover? Take it to the dealer. The techs are more experienced in RR's, they look at things that are typically problematic, and generally just do a better job. I notice this when I take my wifes Lexus in.

The same can't be said for a domestic dealership. I took my Hellcat in for an alignment, and they almost had the most junior guy do the alignment. I made them get the Viper/SRT Tech over to do the alignment. Their response was, well it's just an alignment. Yes, on a car that can do 196 mph. Get a qualified tech or I am leaving.

Not saying they are all bad, but you gotta be careful.

Comment

use the dealer to get your parts but do the work yourself.
                  especially if you drive a diesel

Comment

Advantage:
                    You don't have to do it yourself.
                    Disadvantage:
                    Someone else screws up your car.

Comment

When I bought my new truck last Nov. they included 2 years free oil changes. When that runs out I doubt I will take it back to them for oil changes

Comment

Yeah, no difference except at the dealers I've dealt with, it's a multi-hour wait. Or, they told me once "didn't have time to get to it". And, at both of these locations, oil changes were used as a sales incentive......

Comment

I will only use dealership or do it myself. My run in's with kwik oil changes places have been commical.

"sir, your drain plug is dirty, we need to replace it" Looked at the guy, said clean the **** thing and re install.

Had transmission fluid changed in my tundra, its very specific to how the process is done. Was 5 quarts low and slipping bad, took it to dealer and sent them the bill.

Comment

I was a manager at a JiffyLube, back when I first got out of high school. Its not rocket science but those guys can still mess up. Most of the time, the screw up comes when they remove the old filter and the old gasket stays stuck to the engine. They'll spin a new filter right on top of it and the double gasket will create a leak. I always ask to see my old filter if I go to a quick change place; and, I'll check everything over once in the parking lot before I leave.

Comment

I just went to Christian Brothers. They were reasonable and quick. Looked professional enough compared to Kwik lube.

Comment

Working...
                              X