No announcement yet.

Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck no! I get on the mower, pop in my earbuds and get 1 hour to not think about work or anything else. I’m not giving that up! The husband weed eats and edges while I mow.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
      I will pay my kids $400 to mow our 3 acres with the zero turn.

I also charge them $395 each time they rent my zero turn.
      If I was your kid I'd go rent the neighbors zero turn for $100 and pocket the rest!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Start'em early and never let up! It's not a paid gig, but I'll throw them a few bucks if I'm in a good mood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Yep. I understand the thinking that the kid lives in my house, so he/she should do chores for nothing. Makes sense. But I wanted my kids to learn to work and do chores AND learn how to handle money. I tried to teach them how to be smart with money, and I gave them incentives to do so. But I also gave them complete freedom to blow at least 80% of what they earned on stupid stuff that they'd regret spending money on pretty quick. I wanted them to make all the dumb mistakes everybody makes with money while they were young and only had access to small amounts of money. I didn't want them to have to wait to learn all that stuff and make all those rookie mistakes when they were older and beginning to have access to larger amounts of money with larger responsibilities on the line.
          I personally love your plan. I should have followed that more when my boys were younger.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

You doing great teaching him good values. Mine did until he went off to college. I always helped him but he understood I paid his gas and he was appreciative. He still helps when he comes home.

Comment

He is about to mow in just a bit!

I pay $5-6 per mowing even though he uses the riding mower. The objective is to have him learn value of work and he has to account for tithe/save/spend. I personally find it worth it to me but I still have to run the weed eater.

Comment

Mine mows 6 acres and really enjoys it and doesn’t get paid.

Comment

My son mows & weed eats and he does not get paid. He is going on 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    I did most of the mowing by the time I was 8 or so, dad usually ran the weedeater. He had 2 acres, 1/2 of which he insisted on fertilizing/watering incessantly....and required that it be push mowed and bagged. The rest we mowed with the tractor or riding mower. I got an allowance when I wasn't in trouble, it was like $20 a week for mowing, picking the garden, taking care of the dog, cleaning my room, and whatever other mindless bull**** my mom could dream up to occupy my time. Dad would pay me for helping plant shrubs, did up dead shrubs, clearing out the fenceline, or cleaning up behind the barn....sometimes an agreed upon amount, and sometimes whatever he wanted.

I went to work at the family business when I was 11 and got a little too independent about my home chores, so then the boat didn't leave the barn until the yard was done, so the yard got done!

My son is going to get his first electric weedeater today or tomorrow!
                    My friend, if Breck was asked this question in 20 years he would type almost the same as you did..........and how I was raised.

Rwc

Comment

My wife mows the grass, probably cost me at least $100,000 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                        He sure does!!!
                        I recommend wearing shoes.

Comment

I got in a conversation one summer with my dad about never seeing him mow the yard. I told him he didn’t know how to, it worked he went out and started mowing. After 5 minutes he came back in and told me to complete what he started. He mowed a big X. Still get a kick out of it.

Comment

My boys and I took care of the yard until they left for college now it's just me. We did not pay them, figured they received enough $$ from me and mom between the cars, car ins., cell phone, spending money and on and on and on.

Comment

Yes. 10 1/2 youngest. Push mower

Hand rakes in the fall too

Comment

Originally posted by bbbuck View Post
                                I recommend wearing shoes.
                                Me too but your talking about an extremely country boy..... 3 of my 4 boys run barefoot all day with little or no clothes on. They run on hot concrete, hot gravel roads and crushed concrete roads! I feel like a pansy sometimes because I'm like wait a minute, daddy has to put on his flip flops or something!! They fight each other all the time and then fight any other kids that are crazy enough to mess with one of their brothers.... Like a little pack of wolves or something.. I didn't have brothers growing up but it's awesome to watch them interact. One minute they are rolling on the ground fighting each other like cats and dogs and the next minute they are best buddies in the "army" going to defeat the world! I don't get it sometimes but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X