Hiking with Camera Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiking with Camera Question

How are most of you hiking the national/state parks or anywhere with your camera gear. Do you just take the one you think your may use the most. I've seen the clips that you can attach a camera to your backpack or your belt, etc. I've seen some with the shoulder straps. I just wanted to have the camera available and ready rather than take the backpack off and open it up. I've been using a shoulder strap for a long time but between that and my camera backpack it gets pretty heavy at times. Especially as we go for a distance. My backpack is also a bit dated so you have to take it off your back in order to get the camera out. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Here's how I do it. That is a 100-400. Sometimes I carry the 200-600 on shorter hikes. We bought ebikes that we take camping also and I am fixing up a Ridgid "milk crate" type box for the carrying the big lens and camera. I did carry this rig riding the bike last camping trip in December as well.

Comment

I recently bought the Peak "Capture" it is a clip like you said that can mount on pretty much anything mildly flat and about 4 inches wide (backpack strap, belt, etc.) I have not had the chance to really put it through the ringer yet, but so far I really enjoy it. What I used to do when I carried my camera on Pheasant hunts was I took an old crooked horn bino harness and connected them to a split ring attached to a camera screw. That kept the camera in the middle of my chest where I could control it while walking through brush or whatever to protect my camera as much as possible, while it still being in easy access.

Comment

[QUOTE=RedDogOutdoors;16031935]I recently bought the Peak "Capture" it is a clip like you said that can mount on pretty much anything mildly flat and about 4 inches wide (backpack strap, belt, etc.) I have not had the chance to really put it through the ringer yet, but so far I really enjoy it. .../QUOTE]

Would you mind coming back when you have tried the capture out and letting us know how you like it and how heavy you carry with it? As you can see from my photo, I use Peak Design products. Thanks.

Comment

I have a padded camera backpack that holds a camera and 3 or 4 lenses and other stuff. I use that when I'm focused on photography mostly and want to carry multiple lenses. Other times, I'll put a camera and maybe an extra lens in my hiking or hunting backpack. I'll use a strap like Bill's when I'm on a shorter and light hike. If it's an all-day thing or I want to carry more stuff, then I use the backpacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            I have a padded camera backpack that holds a camera and 3 or 4 lenses and other stuff. I use that when I'm focused on photography mostly and want to carry multiple lenses. Other times, I'll put a camera and maybe an extra lens in my hiking or hunting backpack. I'll use a strap like Bill's when I'm on a shorter and light hike. If it's an all-day thing or I want to carry more stuff, then I use the backpacks.
            This is how I do it as well. The backpack that I use is the Tamrac 5 Expidition and it is about the best balance I could find between carrying most of my stuff and not being to big while still being able to use my shoulder strap for my camera. The type of strap you use is important in being able to have control of your camera.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

This may sound a little “low brow” compared to the rest of you, but I use a fishing vest. With its numerous pockets, I have a place for everything, and without having to—stop—and dig through a bag or back pack to find it. The vest has the added benefit of distributing the weight evenly around your body. An appreciable benefit when your traversing boulders, fording streams, or scaling mountains. The fishing vest is designed to be a little “spare” so it doesn’t get hot. Clipping your camera strap to one of the many loops keeps things from swinging but may make it a little more difficult if a “quick draw” is important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                This may sound a little “low brow” compared to the rest of you, but I use a fishing vest. With its numerous pockets, I have a place for everything, and without having to—stop—and dig through a bag or back pack to find it. The vest has the added benefit of distributing the weight evenly around your body. An appreciable benefit when your traversing boulders, fording streams, or scaling mountains. The fishing vest is designed to be a little “spare” so it doesn’t get hot. Clipping your camera strap to one of the many loops keeps things from swinging but may make it a little more difficult if a “quick draw” is important to you.
                Love it! Not a bad idea and thanks for being bold to say this.

Comment

I am a fan of the Peak Design products as well. The Peak capture works great on a backpack strap but I will say only with shorter/lighter lenses. For example, with my Canon R5 and 24-105 it works great. When I put on my 100-500, it becomes too heavy, but that is where the Peak camera strap comes in very nice and is a great strap..

I have a couple of backpacks but normally use my Thinktank Commuter. If I am going to be in inclement weather, I will switch to my Lowepro Dryzone 200 as it is completely water and dust proof.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X