Big Menard County Buck Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Menard County Buck Down!

If you haven’t seen my previous threads this season, my five year old Easton was able to take his first deer on 10/10 this year and he shot his first buck on 10/31(3 year old funky racked management deer named dagger). He took both of the deer with a 6.5 Grendel on an AR15 platform and made text book shots at just over 100 yards on each.

Fast forward a bit and it’s time for our 3rd annual trip out to Fort McKavett for a good family hunt on a property hosted by another TBHer that we were fortunate to meet several years ago to start this hunt. We usually make this trip in December, but with conflicting schedules we had to move it to start hunting on Black Friday Weekend.

This property is free range Central Texas deer hunting with no feed plan in place. In years passed our bucks would usually be 115-125”. Were on the SanSaba river so the whitetail are plentiful and we sometime see axis deer. It makes for a fun action hunt for us every year.

In years passed there has been a 10 point on camera with hooks on his G2s, but never got eyes on him while hunting. This summer Nathan sends me pics of the buck, and he made an obvious jump from previous years. Based on the several previous years of pics we believed the deer to be 6.5 years old this season. He was easily the top prospect on the ranch, but the bucks were on does and it was a toss up on what blind would be best to go after him.

Yesterday afternoon, Easton and I got settled in to a blind and not long after it all calmed down we had the only off limits buck come in on a doe. He is a beautiful four year old ten point with bladed G2s. My trigger main really wanted that buck, but I assured him we were waiting for a bigger and older deer.

Low and behold fifteen minutes later I got eyes on an obvious shooter with a doe in the brush. It didn’t take long for me to identify him as our top target buck. The doe turn to bring him our way, and I quickly got Easton on the gun. As with most bucks that have a doe he wasn’t standing still. He came and left a few times discouraging Easton, but I assured him to be patient and pray we get a shot.

The buck finally stepped out and stood still just long enough to give Easton a shot, and he drilled him! We watched him go forty yards or so and pile up!! The excitement of my boy killing a big buck like this took over me and brought me to tears for him!

He struggled to hold his head up well for great pics, but here he is!

We taped him twice last night. He is the biggest buck off this ranch since Nathan has been out here.

Y’all guess at what y’all think! He fooled me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Justin Spies; 11-27-2021, 10:31 AM.

Nice buck! Congratulations.

Comment

Stud of a deer! Congrats

Comment

YeeYee, that's a Toad

Comment

Congrats Easton! Heck of a season for the young man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great deer!! Congrats y’all!!

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

Congratulations heck of a buck!

Comment

You love to see these pictures. Great job of getting the young man out in the woods and taking a great buck!

Comment

Congrats to Easton. That’s a great buck. Great job dad.

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

That’s a heck of a buck! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great bucks congrats to Easton and Dad. I bet he scores 156

Comment

That is an AWESOME deer! Congrats to you both! I remember when my son killed his first big buck and it was better for me than him I think!!!

Comment

That'll make a great trophy. Congratulations to your young man!!

Comment

Working...
                              X