Wife needs a carry gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife needs a carry gun

She got drunk with my sister and they signed up for a Sheepdog Response women's only class. She's not a newbie to handgun shooting but doesn't like any of my guns so figured I'd start looking for a birthday present (that she'll shoot and approve before I buy). She's going to be shooting quite a bit so I'm thinking we stick with 9mm for cost of ammo and familiarity.

Some details off the top of my head:

She's decided it'll primarily be carried in a CC purse with special sleeve so it doesn't have to be super compact but a full sized won't quite fit in the pocket. In addition it seems like this would rule out anything with a hammer or gaudy safety switches and such. She'll be buying an ultra-compact gun later for jogging and such. I didn't realize it but her normal purse is a CC purse so this is kind of a requirement since she already owns it.

She has trouble racking the slide on most of my guns, she can do it but it's not easy. I think she just needs muscle memory and more practice because she regularly deadlifts 225lbs for reps with no grip help or straps or gloves so her grip ain't weak but she wants something easier to work with so thought I'd throw it out.

She absolutely hated a 38spl revolver we had long ago and doesn't seem to be interested in revolvers at all. It's a shame because I think a small hammerless revolver is perfect for carry, probably wouldn't be great for her class though. The one we had was really snappy and not fun to shoot and she hated the super long DAO trigger pull.

She doesn't like DAO triggers (Glock, Springfield, etc). She can probably get over this especially if I have some trigger work done. She doesn't like the long pull or the extra weight. This also could be due to grip size on much of the handguns she's shot.

After all that I told her just carry pepper spray lol but she needs something to practice with before this class and to use for the class. I have my preferences and bias so of course I'm pushing her towards all the stuff I like so I'm thinking I should reach out here and look to see some other recommendations that I haven't considered due to personal preference/bias.

The class isn't til September so we're gonna have fun with it and she'll be shooting and trying quite a few trying to decide what she likes, what should I should add to the list?
    Glock 19
    M&P Shield
    Taurus 709 Slim
    Ruger SR9
    Walther CCP
    Glock 43X

Bonus question, for the class she specifically needs a retention holster, material preference is kydex. They specifically ruled out Blackhawk Serpa for some reason which is all I've used as far as retention holsters go and I really like mine, all my other stuff is all IWB holsters so not sure where to go here.

I would go with a 43X and then buy the 42 as her jogger. I have a 43 as a boot gun/backup that I wear on a daily basis. My wife has shot it, and was ok with it but I wanted her to try the 43X. Maybe I was wanting her to settle for the 43, and I would carry the 43X. The other day we were in College Station and she handled both the 43X and the 42 and loved how the 42 felt in hand. I bought it for mothers day and we shot it today. Lights out with it.

Comment

The Sig P238 & P938 are great pistols. I also like my less expensive Taurus G2C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your right, the small revolvers are perfect carry guns for women in their purses.

Im not a fan of glock for people who don’t practice regularly, especially if she is just going to throw it in her purse.

Comment

The gerber steadfast would be better than pepper spray if she can lift 225 you can beat someone head in with the bottom end.

This would be best for close work

Last edited by Johnny44; 05-10-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

My dad bought a S&W Shield 9mm EZ for my niece for college graduation. She had shot pistols, but had trouble racking the slides. The EZ has been a great CC weapon for her.

Comment

Sig P365 with safety if you can find one.

Comment

Wife needs a carry gun

Sig p365 trigger is good and slide is relatively easy to work.
                Oh and accurate

Last edited by Deadfall65; 05-10-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Sig P365 with safety if you can find one.

Originally posted by Deadfall65 View Post
                  Sig p365 trigger is good and slide is relatively easy to work.
                  Oh and accurate

This^. I have a 365xl and my wife has a Glock 43. She much preferred shooting my 365xl over her 43.

Comment

Lots of places don't allow the serpa due to the booger hook being so close to the bang switch.

Mine carries a 43 but also likes a 228. MY vote is 43x,48 or 365

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sig p365X or P365XL, both are 12 + 1 and you can add a red dot to either

Comment

Dammit I absolutely hate the way that Sig looks lol, but like I said I have my biases and that's why I needed yall. It's clear that needs to be added to the list.

Comment

I’ll put this out there for perspective. My wife doesn’t like shooting my XD or XDS, both 9mm. She always said they were too snappy and she doesn’t like the recoil. We were recently comparing those to her dad’s Sig 365 and I think I found her problem. The grip on the Sig was not as deep and she didn’t have to reach for the trigger. When she gripped the XDS, she had to roll her strong hand way forward to reach the trigger, which caused her to have a really poor grip overall. Comparing the two guns side by side didn’t seem like much of a size difference, but it was definitely enough to have an effect. So if she hasn’t already, try to have her put her hands on a bunch of different models, and that may narrow down some of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                            I would go with a 43X and then buy the 42 as her jogger. I have a 43 as a boot gun/backup that I wear on a daily basis. My wife has shot it, and was ok with it but I wanted her to try the 43X. Maybe I was wanting her to settle for the 43, and I would carry the 43X. The other day we were in College Station and she handled both the 43X and the 42 and loved how the 42 felt in hand. I bought it for mothers day and we shot it today. Lights out with it.

This the 43x has enough size to not be real snappy but still slim. The 42 is nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Dammit I absolutely hate the way that Sig looks lol, but like I said I have my biases and that's why I needed yall. It's clear that needs to be added to the list.

There are 3 in this house and looking for a fourth, 3 of those replaced M&P Shield EZ’s that grouped minute of basketball @ 10 yards. The Sig shoots where you point it!

Looking for a 4th to replace wife’s Sig P238 because she likes the way the 365 shoots and I like her having 12 rounds of 9mm over 7 rounds of 380.

Comment

Working...
                              X