Found him 2 yrs later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found him 2 yrs later

Two years ago, October 2020, I had a weekend free. Wife and kids were out of town, so I went to the ranch after work on a Saturday. I hunted Sunday morning and slipped and fell about 6 feet off a ledge and landed on my bow with the sight taking a pretty good hit. After collecting my self, I walked the mile and a half back to the cabin and proceeded to sight my bow back in. I was consistently and confidently placing arrows in a 2" group at 40 yards. I decided to hunt that evening. Get to the feeder an hour before it goes off and end up pushing deer off as I crawl into a brush pile about 25 yards from the feeder. After 30 minutes deer start to show back up. The feeder goes off and the deer are settling in. All at once the entire group becomes uneasy. Out walks the boss. A mature 9 point that parks under the feeder making sure to keep the other deer scrounging for corn morsels at the outskirts of the feeder throw. I can't get a shot for all the reasons typically associated with this problem. Finally the other deer move behind the feeder, and I am out of their sight. The boss walks towards me and is on his way out. I stop him in a clearing and let it fly. Looks good, double lung arrow lodged in off side shoulder not a complete pass thru. I see him lay down. Fast forward an hour and I haven't seen him get up. I go find blood at the shot and where he laid down was a pool of blood but no deer. I trail him until dark and run out of blood. I had to work the next day but my FIL went on horse back to look for him based on my description 3 of the next 5 days and had no luck. I watched trail cams for the last 2 years hoping to see him again. Nothing. This July, we were running jug lines on the river that is our North border, I spot a set of antlers sticking out of the water. Not thinking much of it we proceeded to pick up the rest of the jugs and then grab the skull. As soon as my BIL picked it up out of the water I knew it was my 9 I had lost. It is now hanging in the meat room at the ranch and is being referred to as the mossy oak buck due to it being mostly covered in moss. Glad to get some closure on a hunt. Not the way I like to do things, glad I found him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you found him!!

He’s a beautiful buck.

Comment

Last year I shot a buck on the last day of the season. Hit him too far forward in the shoulder bit arrow buried halfway in and I’m sure it killed him. Never found any blood and looked and looked but never found the deer. Every time I go to where I shot him I hope I’ll stumble across him. Maybe one day

Comment

Found him 2 yrs later

Great write up and story. Pics would be awesome!

Edit: TapACrap didn’t load your pic the first time. Sweet buck!

Comment

Great feeling to have closure with a buck you had an encounter with.
          Congrats

Comment

Name him the Paul Harvey buck because now you know the rest of the story.

Comment

Awesome critter! Well done MrBear.

He needed another year….fffpppttt.

Comment

There is something about Mortally wounded deer.Attraction for a body of water..Maybe massive blood loss makes them thirsty?? They think Safety on the other side?? Are they Over Heated due to blood loss?? I've been in too many recovery for it to be coincidence. But could BE...

Comment

How far did he end up going?

Comment

Cool story. Glad you finally found him

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                      There is something about Mortally wounded deer.Attraction for a body of water..Maybe massive blood loss makes them thirsty?? They think Safety on the other side?? Are they Over Heated due to blood loss?? I've been in too many recovery for it to be coincidence. But could BE...
                      I would think dehydration/decreased blood volume and the body sensing a need for water would be logical

Glad you got some closure

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        Last year I shot a buck on the last day of the season. Hit him too far forward in the shoulder bit arrow buried halfway in and I’m sure it killed him. Never found any blood and looked and looked but never found the deer. Every time I go to where I shot him I hope I’ll stumble across him. Maybe one day

I was the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinboy33 View Post
                          How far did he end up going?

Well when I found him all that was there was his skull. He had washed down river was my best guess when the river came up. My FIL rode the river on horse back a couple times but never saw him. The place I found him was a little over 3/4 of a mile from allow impact.

Comment

Congrats on finding him and enjoyed the write up.

-john

Comment

Dang..... well at least you finally got to put your hands on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X