Fishing with dolphins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing with dolphins

Went out to Eckert Bayou this morning. About 0800, I seen some dolphins in the distance. I kept fishing (buddy and I on kayaks) and had my stringer behind me with a couple reds on it.

Fast forward just a few minutes, now those dolphins were about 40 yards away.. I pulled my stringer in and now they are basically riding with us. They stayed with us for over a mile, within reach of the kayaks at times. We got some awesome video. Here's a couple screenshots.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Pretty cool. I've heard of them taking strung fish, but I'm a little suspect of those reports.

Comment

You don’t see that at Texoma!!!

Comment

We were wade fishin by Fort Travis and we had them all around us. It was actually kind of nerve wracking because you don't realize how big they are until you're in the water with them. They were getting close enough that you could feel them come flying by.

Comment

They are just looking for a free meal. They eat every undersize trout released around here

Comment

Keep e'm little sneaky bastages!

Comment

They will shut down a good speck bite in a hurry.

Comment

Ive had them take fish from my hand out in the bay

Comment

Can’t stand em when you get into the trout! Fishing over!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Pretty cool. I've heard of them taking strung fish, but I'm a little suspect of those reports.
                    I’ve had it happen several times while fishing off a pier with a stringer in the water.

Have also had them pull fish off a hook while fishing lights.

Comment

yall must have been really pedalling those kayaks, they like to ride the bow waves when we're heading out.

I have wade fished with them a bunch. i have never had them take a fish from me or off a stringer but they have made snacks out of a few of the released trout.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                        Yup, I usually pack up when I see dolphins. It's really cool the first couple times, but unfortunately it'll start to get annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                          I know a couple of guys that buy the firecracker, Lil Dynamite, and when dolphin come around, they'll set a couple off in the water and it runs the dolphin off but doesn't bother the trout.

Comment

Nothing will get you walking on Water quite like when they come within 2 feet of you in the Surf right at daylight, and hits about 100 decibels through his Blow Hole.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                              yall must have been really pedalling those kayaks, they like to ride the bow waves when we're heading out.

I have wade fished with them a bunch. i have never had them take a fish from me or off a stringer but they have made snacks out of a few of the released trout.
                              Autopilot kayaks with trolling motors. Full tilt on calm water, loaded.. about 4.3mph. Pretty quick on a kayak

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X