Overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overkill?

I have a basically a new AR15 topped with a new Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18X44. I think it looks a bit odd with the larger scope, I’m on the fence about getting a 1-8 for it. What do y’all think?
    Attached Files

What type of shooting are you wanting to do with it? Unless you are planning on doing some close up shooting I bet you will like the 3-18 better.

Comment

Looks fine.............................

Comment

I see no issue.

Comment

True 1-6 / 1-8 are ideal on combo battle / hunting rigs...if it's a straight up hunter, then run the power range you like for the application.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            What type of shooting are you wanting to do with it? Unless you are planning on doing some close up shooting I bet you will like the 3-18 better.
            Varmint control and hog hunting mostly. I haven’t even shot it yet but you might be right.

Comment

I have the same style set up on my AR, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                Varmint control and hog hunting mostly. I haven’t even shot it yet but you might be right.

I’ve shot my 1-8 out to 500 with out issue but my gripe was the reticle. It was a little too bulky for my liking and so I went back to a 2-10 for a more precise reticle. If you don’t plan on shooting much distance and don’t mind a bulky reticle the 1-6/1-8 are awesome. I will say the 1-8 was money for close pig killing (inside 50 yards)

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Shoot it the way you feel comfortable. I usually don't put long range glass on my AR guns because none of them are long range rifles. The longest range scope I use is a Sightmark Wraith IR for night work. Erthang else has a 1-4x24 or a Reflex red dot with no magnification. I consider my AR's to be 100yds or less guns and for that I can use the peep sight and hit 6" steel gongs every shot at 100. Good enough to put the hurt on pigs. I'll bet this lil Vortex will be plenty and it has great eye relief. You can shoot it with both eyes open too. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...iflescope.html
                  Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-30-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I have that same scope on my Grendel and like it a lot. I do not do any long range shooting. Mainly 100-300 yards and works great.

Comment

Do you want it to look cool or do you want it to be best suited for hunting?

Comment

It looks like a plinker , what’s the problem

Comment

If it turns out to be a 1-3" MOA gun, then the lower power would work. If it shoots <1", the larger power would extend your effective killing range.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                            If it turns out to be a 1-3" MOA gun, then the lower power would work. If it shoots <1", the larger power would extend your effective killing range.
                            I use a quick detach base on an 18X Burris for my load development. Once I get a pet load that groups tight I switch it out for the reflex red dot and 1-4x
                            Big scope don't hurt a thing if you don't mind the weight and bulkiness. It does extend your range by about double.

Comment

I think it looks awesome. With that said a 1-8x would be better for the type of hunting I do so I would go that route.

Comment

Working...
                              X